3.5 Gallon Bowl for a Paradise Fish (Filtered)

1. Zarich Member Member

Basically I have read bowls are bad. I was unaware of this. I set up a bowl (no fish yet) as follows: the bowl is 3.5 gallons and it is globe shaped. I put an undergravel bowl filter in. I removed the filter cartridge and I modified a whisper 3i filter to fit on the the tube. I have aquarium gravel covering the filter by 1.5" and I have a live plant(It looks like Diandra, but I am not sure) in the middle.
    So right now I have this bowl sitting on my desk filtering and has been for two days. However, there is no heater and so the water sits at 70 almost all the time (it fluctuats 69.5 to 70.5). Originally I was going to put a beta in there, but found that betas need heat. So I thought I would put a paradise in there.
    However I then read somewhere that the globe shape is bad.
    So my question is... am I out of luck?

2. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

They make little heaters why not just add one and then get a betta?

3. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

There are plenty small, reliable, cheap heaters :) I like the Tetra 2-15's they sell at WalMart.

4. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore!

I'm with e_watson09 & Akari_32 on this, just get a small heater and a Betta. (Although that said, a Betta would really prefer a 5 gallon tank.)

5. Zarich Member Member

What about the shape though. I read somewhere that the shape itself is actually bad for fish.

6. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

I don't think it is, really. Just buy a little heater, and you'll be set :)

7. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I don't think it'd be bad for them. I mean I can understand a little of where that's coming from tho. With a bowl like that the fish would be able to see its reflection which could stress the fish out but most bettas give over themselves after a day or so ;)

8. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

I think its more the curve distorting external light sources, and images and such, making the fishes eyes tweak out. Thats the argument I've always heard, anyway. I kinda think its just people hate'n on bowls :;nin2

9. Salazar Member Member

you should be fine. betas don't need a heater. they are fine without. i have a beta in a 1g tank with no heater and he is perfectly happy. the shape, does not matter though.

10. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

I disagree, Bettas are tropical fish and come from a very warm climate, they need a heater. They also need at least 2.5 gallons of swim space IMO, so they can move around and don't lose all their muscles.

Petsmart sells heaters made for bowls. I have seen them several times, they are flat little disc like heaters.

11. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

Please keep in mind you can shove a kid in a closet and he will be happy for a while but will he be happy long term? Probably not. Now turn on the air conditoner on high. How happy will he be then?

Bettas come from places where their water is 78-85 degrees. So unless you're keeping your house super warm to the point the tank stays warm it is not good for the fish long term. They also ideally need 5 gallon tanks. 2.5 is pushing it. I have a HMPK and s/he is already about to get upgraded into half of a 10 gallon tank. I couldn't imagine having her in a 1g that would just be simply too small.

12. Zarich Member Member

Thanks guys.. Im tempted to hang this idea and get that 5 gallon thing from wally mart.
    I like the look of my bowl setup, but just cant figure how to get a heater in there and those bowl heaters are like $15 which seems excessive to me when the non bowl style are half that and have temp nobs.

13. cameronpalte Member Member

I disagree with you. This is bad with them, and how do you know it is prefectly happy? I recommend for your fish's sake go out get a 5 gallon tank and a heater.

14. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Gotta love it, right :p Thats what I like about the Tetra 2-15's. They are $14, and can be used in wide range of tank sizes. Down side *is* the unadjustable part.

15. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

If the bowl is glass I don't see an issue using one of the heaters with a nob and such.

16. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Ya know...if you are going to splurge for a new tank, Petco sells 6 gallon Bookshelf tanks that are great for Betta's.

They are the length of a 10 gallon tank, but not as wide or deep. It gives the Betta plenty of horizontal swim space and because it's not that deep the Betta doesn't have as far to go to surface for air.

I think they cost about $45 dollars and come with a hood, light and filter. The only additional thing you would need is a heater (and gravel & decorations)

17. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Nope, they're $50. Plus tax. They are on sale on PetCo.com right now for $40, plus shipping and tax, but that puts you right back up at $50. Nice tanks, though. I really want one, but for the price, I could get something so much bigger. One day, I'll find a nice used one :p

18. Zarich Member Member

That bookshelf tank is cool looking.

19. Zarich Member Member

The problem is the shape of the bowl makes it impossible to hang a straight object.

20. kitty2234 Member Member

Hi Friends,

I noticed that no one mentioned, that the water should be aged according to the nitrate cycle.

kitty2234