3.5 Gallon Betta Tank+ Snail Question

Discussion in 'Snails' started by Ziggythecat, Apr 20, 2018.

1. ZiggythecatValued MemberMember

Recently moved my Betta to a 3.5 gallon tank because she was being nipped at by my other fish(evil male swordtail). She is quite a messy eater and after only 2 full days in there I can already see build up of food and waste.

What kinds of snails are ok in a smaller space?

My Betta is very docile.

2. WTFish?Well Known MemberMember

Sounds like maybe you’re over feeding? Is there a filter?

3. Zypher023Valued MemberMember

I don’t believe most snails will eat excess food. A mystery snail might. I’ve been told 1 mystery snail per 2.5 gallons.

I always make sure my bettas eat their food while I’m watching to avoid this. I’ll often turn off filters or pumps and feed them their pellets one by one. This usually avoids all build up issues for me. All I see now is snail poop from my nerites!

4. JamieXPXPWell Known MemberMember

nerites are good for small tanks but wont really eat anything other then algae from my experience. mysterys are also nice snails but i personally wouldnt do them in a 3.5g because they do get to be golfball size which is pretty big for small tanks. although it does sound like you are overfeeding because bettas dont normally produce a lot of waste and shouldnt have leftover food on the bottom of the tank. you should get a gravel vac if you dont already have one which will help keeping the bottom of the tank clean

5. ZiggythecatValued MemberMember

Thank you!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice