3.5 gal tank

FaeBlackfyre

So recently one of my beta fish died and I have an empty 3.5 gal tank. So I was considering maybe trying something new and getting shrimp. What kind of shrimp are good for a 3.5 gal tank? How many shrimp can I put in it? What are some good live plants that I can put in it for shrimp? Can I put different kinds of shrimp together in the tank?

Sauceboat

FaeBlackfyre said:
So recently one of my beta fish died and I have an empty 3.5 gal tank. So I was considering maybe trying something new and getting shrimp. What kind of shrimp are good for a 3.5 gal tank? How many shrimp can I put in it? What are some good live plants that I can put in it for shrimp? Can I put different kinds of shrimp together in the tank?
Really, any dwarf shrimp species can fit in a 3.5. Usually the recommended amount of cherry shrimp (very popular and come in every color of the rainbow) is 5-10 per gallon. You can put different kinds together so long as they like the same water parameters, as a general rule don’t mix caridina and neocaridina species. But most people keep tanks of a single color so that the shrimps’ offspring are colorful and don’t revert to wild patterns which generally result from cross breeding colors. As far as plants, shrimp love plants, mosses, in particular. But really any plants will do. My shrimp tanks contain java moss, dwarf hairgrass, and stem plants.

Crimson_687

3.5 gallons is a very difficult environment for shrimps, since they need constant parameters. Smaller tanks are prone to fluctuations.

Depending on what you’re willing to do and how stable you’re able to keep the tank, you could do cherry shrimps. However, I would start out with ghost shrimp since they’re hardy and cheap. Cherry shrimp can tolerate a wide range of parameters but are very sensitive. Ghost shrimp are a little less sensitive and very cheap.

I once did cherry shrimp in a 3.3 gallon. They were fine, but the tank was very stressful to care for. The slightest change would cause me to lose shrimp and my water changes had to be very small, which meant I had to do them frequently. I now have them in a 5.5 gallon tank. It’s still work, and I wish I had a 10 gallon instead for them, but it’s much easier to care for and I’m not losing shrimp anymore. A larger tank will also have more biofilm, which feeds shrimplets

Top Bottom