3.5 Gal Shrimp Tank

spike98

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I plan on buying a 3.5 gallon tank and turning it into a planted shrimp tank. I'm using this tank to get some experience doing a planted tank before I touch my 29 gallon. I was wondering what shrimp will look and fit best in here? Additionally, what plants would be best for the shrimp and this tank?

qchris87

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
RCS are the easiest and hardiest shrimp. They pop against the green of plants. What plants you get depend on if you want a low, med, or high tech tank.

spike98

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm fairly new so for right now mostly low tech would probably be easier.

spike98

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks, can't wait to see these shrimp running around their tank. From what I've read shrimp can mate fairly quick and fill up the tank so instead of getting a high number to start with what would someone recommend? I don't have many fish stores near me that carry a wide variety of different fish or invertebrates so I'm forced to order online so the gender is more than likely going to be a mystery.

tjander

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
With a three g tank you can have well over 50 shrimp. If you have a hard time getting shrimp then I would buy as many as you can. As mentioned above RCS are the hardest and easiest to keep. Once they get started they go like crazy, but one slip up on water parameters and you could easily kill them all.
I would also encourage you to get your plants and some driftwood first setup and cycle the tank. Give your plants time to adapt and start to grow. After around 90 days from it being cycled put your shrimp in. RCS must have a well established and stable environment. One last word. Of caution, you do understand that. 3.5 g tank is far less forgiving then a 29 g tank. Meaning you really have to stay on top of the water changes and water quality.
Last thought, no copper so watch your fertilizers. If you use excel no strong then 3/4 dose.

Now, I hope I didn’t scare ya off, welcome to the wonderful world of shrimps. They are hours of entertainment watching them.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom