3.3 Gallon Tank, Will This Work?

1. Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

Bought it thinking it was a long 5 gallon. 5 betta unit tank from Aquarium Masters (ironically this tank is terribly designed for bettas). I removed the dividers and am modifying the solid glass lid for a small canister filter designed for tanks up to 10 gallons. Why call your company "Aquarium Masters" and then create a tank with no flow, no room for a heater, and no way to add filtration?!

Substrate is Constrosoil over a dusting of Bacter AE. Plants will be Monte Carlo carpet, Anubias nana, Java moss or round pellia, and possibly some Crypt parva or Crypt wendtii. Hardscape is black lava rock and cholla wood. Lighting is a Finnex Stingray. I also plan to add some IALs.

Right now I currently have 2 blue velvet shrimp in my old 5 gallon. It is bare bottom with mostly duckweed and pothos but I keep it grungy for the biofilm and algae (parameters are 0/0/5 so it is clean despite appearances). They are doing great. My plan is to buy at least 10 more and start a small colony in the new nano.

Overall, is this a tank that will work? It's smaller than I'd like it to be but looks really nice. Dimensions are approximately 18"x6"x7"

20629983_1859485594077890_704493473_o.jpg

2. 13fishy wishes

13fishy wishes Valued Member Member

I am no expert, but I think it will work . good luck !

3. tunafax

tunafax Well Known Member Member

That is actually 3.3 gallons and to be honest this will be a better tank for a betta than 5g, but only because of the dimensions.

Where did you get this?

4. OP
    OP
    Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

Their website listed it as approximately 2.3 gallons, but thanks for pointing out that it is actually larger. I work at a pet store and they stock these as betta tanks. I liked the dimensions and low profile so I purchased one. It comes with glass panels that you insert as dividers but I just left them out. The biggest issue is that the lid is just a solid pane of glass with no way to add a filter or heater, so I am modifying it with a glass cutter today to accommodate a small canister.

5. tunafax

tunafax Well Known Member Member

Oh, I see! Aquarium dimensions calculator has done me wrong, then.

I still say it is very acceptable. If you are handy, go for it. :)
    Though you would either need one of these short little heaters or a fully submersible ones. I've been covering those long tanks forever, but they're like $100 on Amazon Canada.

Edit: a canister on a 2g? Are you sure? There needs to be almost no flow in something that small to be good for a betta...

6. OP
    OP
    Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

Since it will only house dwarf shrimp, you think ambient temperature will work? It stays around 74 indoors at my house.

I get a 30% employee discount and this tank was only about $25 USD.

7. Prism

Prism Well Known Member Member

If you are confused about your tank size, if you know the measurements just use Fishlore Calculator! Hope that will help. This seems like a fine home for a betta, since its a long, I think you could do a plakcat. I don't know about the canister with a betta, is the flow to powerful? The only problem I would think of with a betta, in that size of a tank with a canister, is the flow. If it pushes your betta, it could be a big problem. I didn't quite understand your post, do you want a betta, or are you planning on something else?

8. OP
    OP
    Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

The tank is designed and marketed for bettas. However, I see several flaws with it's design, such as the fact that it does not permit the addition of a heater or filtration unless you leave the glass lid off, and it divides into 5 narrow compartments of only .66 gallons each, much to small for bettas to live in!

I have removed the dividers and am modifying the glass top so that I can install a small canister filter, with a low flow rate of only 80gph. While it would be much better suited for a betta after modifications, I will only be housing dwarf shrimp and snails.

Sorry of there was any confusion, I bought it for shrimp even though it is sold as a betta tank!