Status
Not open for further replies.

engenho

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi there,
Out of a group of 4, I have 2 cory sterbais not doing well:

cory #1 - recently developed 2 white-ish bumps on both side of the body. Kind of ich but these look a bit swollen. However this guys seems to be great, swims with the other corys, up and down, nibbles all around etc. Seems happy.

cory #2 - no signs of infection on the outside (fins are ok, no ich, etc.). However fins seems to be clamped, stays in same place for a long while whilst the other corys swim happily up and down etc. Seems to have buggly eyes and breathing seems to be heavy compared to others.

Pictures:
CORY 1
Cory 1 - Bumps
Cory 1 - Left
Cory 1 - Right
Cory 1 - Left.2

CORY 2
Cory 2- clamped fins, not moving much

Let me know if you need videos, I can try and get something over to you...

Water parameters:
  • Ammonia – 0
  • Nitrite – 0
  • Nitrate – less than 5ppm
  • Temperature – 27C
  • PH – 8.5 >> seems to be high, read more about this below if you feel it could be a root cause of the problems.
Q1 - How should I proceed treating them? I have purchased
Q2 - I’m conscious corys needing to be in groups of 4+ so is it OK to separate the group having corys alone during the treatment?
Q3 - Should I also medicate the remaining fish in the tank to prevent disease spread?

Regarding PH - I have rocks, medium-heavy planted tank, wood etc. to help bring the PH down although not very successful. From measurements taken on tap water to the water in the tank there’s very little difference. I’m looking to keep stability as advised on YT videos as opposed to use chemicals and eventually crash the PH…

THANKS A LOT FOR YOUR HELP, TIPS, ADVISE.

Aquaphobia

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hi and welcome!

What size tank are they in? What do you feed them? Are all 4 cories the same species? How long have you had them? What other fish are in with them? Any new fish added to the tank?

OP
E

engenho

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
hi @Aquaphobia

What size tank are they in? >> a fluva roma 200 which is 100cm x 40cm x 73cm (L x W x H)
What do you feed them? >> twice a day Tetra Bits complete when I feed the tank. Twice a week corydora tablets from Fish Science.
Are all 4 cories the same species? >>yes, cory sterbai
How long have you had them? >> 1.5 months
What other fish are in with them? >> 15 cardinal tetras, 4 juvenile angelfish
Any new fish added to the tank? >> no, all came in at same time.

Thanks for asking

Aquaphobia

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hm. In that case I'd start to suspect the substrate. It looks kind of jagged, perhaps they've injured themselves on it? Certainly the 2nd one looks a little skinny and cory barbels are known to be injury-prone on that kind of gravel.

KinsKicks

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It appears that on your fist corycat, it look stop be something viral or environmental; like @Aquaphobia mentioned, sharp substrate can lead to damage of the skin, and this can lead to stress, depressing the immune system and allowing pathogens to take hold. Likewise, what I believe you are seeing the start of is viral lymphocystis; they usually start out as small cysts and can grow with time, taking on a cauliflower shape. Unfortunately, there isn't a proven treatment for this; the best you can do is to provide a very clean environment for the fish's immune system to fight it off naturally, but it is common for the virus to show the symptoms again (lymphocystis is technically in all fish; its a depressed immune system that can allow it take a stronger hold and show symptoms; its similar to the herpes virus in humans...everyone has it, but it depends on who shows)

I would isolate all your corys into QT (no substrate or anything, maybe a few plastic plants for security) and provide very clean water with lots of aeration. If your second cory is willing to eat, I would actually get Metroplex (Paraguard is for external issues, your cory looks to be dealing with an internal one) and soak pellets in small concentrated solution and feed (its fine if all your corys eat some, you just want to make sure they get the medicated food inside).

Please continue to update us!

OP
E

engenho

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks a lot @KinsKicks , really appreciate your comments!

I've been looking all over internet in the UK for Seachem Metroplex and can't seem to find it anywhere Amazon, ebay, google...nothing! I can see that it's based on Metronidazole so I've searched other products containing this and same result - dead end.
This article suggests also Tetra Parasite Guard or API General Cure - dead end for both!!! Is it that one needs prescription to get it in the UK???

Are you able to point me to an alternative that I may be able to purchase in the UK please?

THANKS!!!

OP
E

engenho

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
YES found it on amazon w/ express delivery for £15...

This I presume is for cory 2 (clamped fins, slim body etc.) and will be OK if the other corys receive same treatment too?

But this shouldn’t help cory 1 (external skin “irritation”, bumps) - is it ok to also medicate with Paraguard at same time?

THANKS FOR THE HELP THIS FAR

OP
E

engenho

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Terrible update...

This morning I found the slim cory laying on one side on gravel, barely breathing :_(
As my QT arrives today only I proceeded moving it to a large plastic container with clean filtered water PH = 7, had no heating I could use so I covered/wraped the container around a throw w/ no light and placed +/- close to the room heater.

When I was catching it, it started swimming vigorously inside the net but spinning on its own (not doing 360s but lile a drill), so it can’t stand straigh

Air pump arrived yesterday along with the Paraguard but air tubes etc will only arrive today so I couldn’t provide exigenation nor medication

I’ve read corys can be though fish so I’m still going to buy medication over lunch time and hope when I get home it is alive still but I doubt it....

I had to run to catch the train empty stomach as with this happening this morning I got late.

All other 3 corys were swimming well together and eating.

More updates later today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom