2x 55 gallon tanks

1. jeffysonp Initiate Member

Hello all,

I currently have a 20 gallon set up and running, and I recently got two 55 gallon tanks for -free- including the hoods.

I'm wondering if its possible to have both of my 55 gallon tanks, run a sump from the 20 gallon tank. I've theorized it in my head and it seems possible, but then again there are many things I also thought were possible, soon to find they weren't remotely close.

Another thing, I was curious to know if you members have three tanks setup like I would, or even three separate tanks throughout their household. I love viewing experiences and stories!

2. bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

I know nothing about sumps and all that, but to answer your last question, I currently have four separate tanks in my apartment, soon to be five. I have a 55, a 20gL, a 10 and a 5.5. The tank I'm setting up tomorrow will be another 5.5 for a male doubletail betta. My 55gal is an oddly mixed community. My 20gL is going to be a mini community (just has a female GBR in it right now) and the two smaller tanks are for male bettas (two HMPKs). At one point, I had twelve tanks running in my old house. I had the 55, a 46 bowfront, a 29, a 28 bowfront reef, a 20gL, a 20gH, an 18gH, two or three 10s, a 5 FBH, a 5 bowfront, a Hex5, and a 2.5 shrimp tank.

3. jeffysonp Initiate Member

Thanks for the response, I've enjoyed my 20galL for quite some time now, I felt it will be nice to get two bigger tanks, and get some interesting stock:) perhaps I'll look into some small little aquariums throughout the house. I can hear my wallet scream already!

4. CichlidSWAGA Well Known Member Member

I have 5 a 125g,60g,29g, 15g QT, Empty 55g. Im not to sure about sumps either. What are you thinking of stocking them with?

5. can haz catfishies? Member Member

The biggest issue I can think of with a common sump is that any thing happening in one tank will end up affecting the second, white spot or other infections, any algae issues, meds or ferts used will affect both,
    But that said it would give you a more stable water content as in effect you would be running one big 130g tank

6. jeffysonp Initiate Member

I don't really know, probably more of a semi-aggressive tank - bigger fish- and possibly the other one (If I don't use sump) to be a peaceful community - smaller fish.

Yeah, I've thought of that, and would definitely would've been an issue, and could possibly wipe my setup if something went wrong but what I was going for was like you said, having essentially a 130 gallon tank. But like I said I have no idea how to do sumps or anything like that when tying tanks together.

7. CichlidSWAGA Well Known Member Member

African cichlids are fun. Just an idea

8. bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

Trust me...if I could afford to go bigger than my 55gal, I would. My landlady just bought a 120gal (I helped them bring it home and move it into the house) that they upgraded their saltwater tank into (FO tank). Sooooooo beyond jealous!