2nd Water Test For New 60 Gallon Tank. Confused.

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by minicupracer1, Mar 30, 2018.

1. minicupracer1

minicupracer1Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3
    So the first pic is from wendsday. Still trying to get my ph down. 2nd is this fri morning. It looks like I’m getting some nitrites but my ammonia looks like it’s gotten higher still. Should I do a partial water change to try and get the ammonia down a bit or let it turn to nitrite. IMG_4996.IMG_5022.

2. Kiks

KiksWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +478
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Depending on what fish you wanna keep, your pH might be just fine. However, I'd advise you to run a high pH test, since it looks like your pH is higher than 7.6.
    Looks like ammonia is a little higher on the second picture than on the first, but some of it must've been processed since nitrite looks to be higher in the second picture than the first picture as well.
    Are you doing a fishless cycle?

3. OP
    OP
    minicupracer1

Ratings:
    +3
    I had 5 Molly’s in for a few days but decided to put them in with my 20 gallon guys this morning.

4. Kiks

Ratings:
    +478
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Sounds like a very good idea with the parameters you're having.

However, you'll be needing another ammonia source or your beneficial bacteria will start to die off. If I were you I'd do a fishless cycle with pure ammonia.

5. OP
    OP
    minicupracer1

Ratings:
    +3
    Don’t I have plenty of ammonia in there right now? I’m think I might have to start over and use dr Tim’s.

6. Kiks

Ratings:
    +478
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Yeah, right now you have enough ammonia, but it will be processed at some point and as soon as it's been at 0 for a day or two the beneficial bacteria starts to die off.
    Usually you dose more ammonia when it hits 0.25 ppm so the bacteria never starves. You don't have to start over, just go from here and dose some pure ammonia when it's at 0.25. Any pure ammonia with no additives will work fine.

7. OP
    OP
    minicupracer1

Ratings:
    +3
    BB is benificial bacteria right? Ok. Would any pet store have pure ammonia you were talking about?

8. Kiks

Ratings:
    +478
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Yes, BB and beneficial bacteria is the same.

I've never seen pure ammonia at pet stores, but they have it in hardware stores and supermarkets.