2nd recall on Top Fin heaters

marijo
Hello

Thought I should share

Top Fin Plastic Aquarium Heaters Recalled by PetSmart Due to Electrical Shock Hazard[/h] The 50-, 100-, 150-, 200- and 250-watt heaters pose risk of electrical shock.

Recall date: June 19, 2015
Recall number: 15-167

[h=3]Recall Summary[/h] Name of product: Top Fin Plastic Aquarium Heaters
Hazard: An electrical problem with the aquarium heaters, poses a risk of fire or electrical shock to the consumer.

Remedy:

Consumer Contact: PetSmart toll-free at (888) 839-9638 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. MT Monday through Friday, or visit the firm’s website at and click on “Product Recalls” listed under “Shop With Us” category for more information.
[h=5]Units[/h]About 112,200 (33,000 heaters were recalled in August 2014), About 4,800 in Canada
[h=5]Description[/h]This recall involves all 50-, 100-, 150-, 200- and 250-watt Top Fin brand plastic aquarium heaters sold between August 2014 and April 2015 with model numbers: HT50, HT100, HT150, HT200 or HT250. The black cylindrical-shaped heaters are about 1.5 inches in diameter and about 13 inches tall. “Top Fin Premium Aquarium Heater,” the model number and the heater's wattage are printed on the side of the heater near the top. The lot number is printed beneath the words “Made in China.” All lot numbers are included in this recall.
[h=5]Incidents/Injuries[/h]The firm has received 13 reports of incidents, including four reports of minor shock, seven reports of the water tanks overheating and one report of property damage from an electrical shortage resulting in fire.
[h=5]Remedy[/h]Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled heaters and return them to any PetSmart store for a full refund.
[h=5]Sold exclusively at[/h]PetSmart stores nationwide from August 2014 to April 2015 for between $25 and $40.
[h=5]Importer(s)[/h]PetSmart Inc., of Phoenix, Ariz.
[h=5]Manufactured in[/h]China

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission is charged with protecting the public from unreasonable risks of injury or death associated with the use of thousands of types of consumer products under the agency’s jurisdiction. Deaths, injuries, and property damage from consumer product incidents cost the nation more than $1 trillion annually. CPSC is committed to protecting consumers and families from products that pose a fire, electrical, chemical or mechanical hazard. CPSC's work to help ensure the safety of consumer products - such as toys, cribs, power tools, cigarette lighters and household chemicals -– contributed to a decline in the rate of deaths and injuries associated with consumer products over the past 40 years.
Federal law bars any person from selling products subject to a publicly-announced voluntary recall by a manufacturer or a mandatory recall ordered by the Commission.

Junne
That's good to know!

I've never been a fan of "top fin" anything - I find their decor is substandard and most of the time the paint chips after only a few months in the tank.

Then again the recall can happen on ANY product, reputable or not and at least they are taking responsibility/action and getting it corrected/replaced/refund.

Techno
Thanks I have one on my 55 I will be taking that back and buying a different heater

Just because why not

BornThisWayBettas
So wait, I have one with my 20 gallon starter kit that I bought in May, should I be worried?

Junne
So wait, I have one with my 20 gallon starter kit that I bought in May, should I be worried?

If its on the list of models affected, then I would take it back

BornThisWayBettas
*Sigh* I don't where I'd find the model number. I'll have to call them later. I hope they'll replace it or something........

Junne
*Sigh* I don't where I'd find the model number. I'll have to call them later. I hope they'll replace it or something........

How long ago did you buy the heater? If you read the above recall info, it has a date on there. Your store may or may not accept it if its not one of the recalled ones. They don't have to unless it is but most stoes will let you exchange it if you have a receipt and its within the stores return time frame.

BornThisWayBettas
The heater came with the kit. Pretty sure I bought it in May.

Gena
Whew, I got a Fluval and a Marineland.

Junne
The heater came with the kit. Pretty sure I bought it in May.

You should be able to look up the kit you bought by going online ( ie: Petsmart, etc ) and figure out if the heater that was packaged/bundled with it is the one in the recall.

marijo

the model number and the heater's wattage are printed on the side of the heater near the top. The lot number is printed beneath the words “Made in China.” All lot numbers are included in this recall.

the recall is from August 2014 to April 2015, you should call Petsmart just to be sure..

thefishdude277
Once I get home I'm buying a new one
Ugh, Topfin >

Junne
Go with an Aqueon pro - no glass to shatter/break, turns off by itself if left out of the water, etc

WORTH the extra $$$ - that's my biggest fear is a glass one overheating and shattering inside the tank!

Bijou88
Ugh, I got a top fin kit in april, I'll have to check the heater when I get home. Hopefully they don't need a receipt to exchange or refund. Thanks for sharing!

thefishdude277
I also got mine off of a kit

BornThisWayBettas
I hope they'll replace it, when we called Petsmart because we couldn't get the filter that came with the kit running they said we'd have to bring in the whole kit, and we'd already filled the tank up! Thankfully, we got the filter working.

Junne
I know Petsmart is pretty good about returns. As long as you have a receipt, they usually will take it back. I have brought back a used ( but cleaned ) automatic cat litter box, a filter that was used for a week, among other things.

BornThisWayBettas
Hope so. If not, it won't be too terrible for now I suppose, I have a 10 gallon heater and my room is so hot right now.....

Techno
It's around 90-100 degrees outside here if I can't get one for around 3 months my fish will still be swimming in pretty high temperature water

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Mike
Replies
Views
KribensisLover1
Replies
Views
AquariaUK
Replies
Views