2nd Molly tank setting up

Little Lyn

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Due to an excessive amount of baby mollies, I am setting up a second tank. As suggest on the Forum, 1 for boys and 1 for girls. (I will cycle it, I learnt the hard way with the lst one). Thank you so much FishLore.
As my 1st tank is doing so well, would it be wise of me to use some of the water to start my 2nd tank? If so, what ratio? I have two Aqua One AR620 tanks.
Any advise is appreciated.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Personally I would just get some gravel and a bit of the filter media from your current tank and use it to seed the new tank. You can put the gravel in a net or completely clean (i.e. never touched soap) pantyhose if you don't want it on the bottom. I'd put the piece of filter media in right next to the media of the current filter.

The only reason why I would transfer water is to avoid having to acclimate the fish, but if you set up your new tank and get the water temperature stabilized and conditioners in then they should transfer over just fine, old water or not.

If you are cycling fishless, then repeat as above but instead of adding fish, add ammonia

platy ben

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hello and Welcome to Fishlore!

Using water form a cycled tank does'nt actually do much at all, if anything, to help a new tank cycle. The beneficial bacteria lives on all of the surface areas in your tank, not in the water itself. That's why peaple use filter media and gravel from cycled tanks to kick start new ones, becauseb oth have a large surface area- a lot of bacteria.

Jrobber

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Good info from the posters above me. Transferring water from your old tank would not help the tank cycle, but could keep your pH level about the same.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Welcome to Fish Lore!

Transferring water might help if you swish your filter media in it, but like the others said, transferring filter media will work much better. That's why it pays to cram as much media into an established filter as possible.

-Lisa

Rhan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Welcome to fishlore!

I have an aqua one 850 and an aqua start 340 pro They seem to be pretty good tanks.

I would transfer some gravel from the cycled tank into the uncycled tank, as well as swapping over some of the ceramic noodles. You don't want to take too many from the cycled tank, as it could cause a minI cycle. Make sure you only transfer the noodles and gravel when you're ready to put fish in the new tank, as the bacteria will die without a food source You can also transfer an ornament from your cycled tank too, as that will probably have some bacteria living on it as well.

Little Lyn

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Great advice. Thank you very much everyone. I appreciate you sharing your knowledge.
My mollies do too!

Little Lyn

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I'm baaaack! (Sorry).
Option 4 pof the Nitrgen cycle states:
Use gravel and/or filter media from an established and cycled tank
This is the best and fastest way to go. This will seed the tank with all of the necessary bacteria for the nitrogen cycle. "Feed" the tank daily with flake food until you are getting nitrate readings.

I don't use flake food. However, I do have algae wafers. Would they be OK? If so, how much?

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads