2nd Hand/used Bogwood

KmwG

Reaction score
Hi ive purchased a load of fish tank bits from a bootsale including 2 bits of bogwood and some ocean rock, what do u need to do to get it ready/safe for my tank

What do i need to do rather

finnipper59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
KmwG said:
Hi ive purchased a load of fish tank bits from a bootsale including 2 bits of bogwood and some ocean rock, what do u need to do to get it ready/safe for my tank

What do i need to do rather
The safest way if they will fit in a pot is to boil them in fresh water. Put the item in the pot with water, put on the burner and once the water starts to actually boil, time them for 30 minutes. I you have a piece of wood that almost fits in the pot but part of it sticks out. Just take it out after 30 minutes, turn it over and boil that side for 30 minutes. That will kill any type of paracites, bacteria, or fungus and even remove dirt. Take everything out of the boiling water and let it cool on paper towels until it's cool enough to handle. Then give it a good rincing under the faucet a put it in the paper towels to dry until you are ready to use it.

KmwG

Reaction score
Ok great thankyou, i thought it was probably that just was not sure wether to wash it after boiling in tap water or tap water with the tap safe stuff in

finnipper59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The boiling of the water will get rid of the chlorine so you won't have to wacte your water conditioner. Even after rincing, the chlorine will evaporate during the air drying.
KmwG said:
Ok great thankyou, i thought it was probably that just was not sure wether to wash it after boiling in tap water or tap water with the tap safe stuff in

finnipper59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You're welcome. It's always good to do research or ask for advice when you're not sure about something. Doing things right in the beginning saves problems down the road. That's what forums like this are for. Good luck.
KmwG said:
Oh i see thats great thanks for your help

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom