55 Gallon Tank 2nd hand tank Q's: using used equipment/set up

• Thread starter amdahl007
  • Start date

amdahl007

Hello. Just found this site... it looks great and I look forward to learning from it/you all, for years to come. Hope someone has some insight on this.

My "little" black moors have gone from tiny to rapidily growing. Think they're about 3 inches now if I include their fan tails. They've outgrown their 2nd tank went from 5, to 10, now moving to 55g.

The tank I found secondhand. It's a 55 gallon acrylic TruVu with Fluval 404 Filter, gravel, the works. I'm going to pick it up tomorrow. I know about cycling, and I read on this site about using water to clean up the tank. Anyone know about how to or if I can reuse gravel and the Fluval 404 Filter?? Tips on (after cycling) transferring Bubbles and Squeek into their new home/palace?

Background/Infobites:
* I know the previous owner had it as a freshwater tank. He thinks its about 7 years old.

* tank is currently empty, unknown for how long.

* I am familiar using the aquaclear systems, but the Fluval 404 Filter is new to me. I plan on looking for an old users manuel online.

Thanks so much! Best, Angi

JRDroid

Well Known
If you run both filters on the tank for a while it will provide you with a near instant cycle. The fluval is an excellent filter.

lorabell

Well Known
Hey there and welcome!!!!!...I clean tons of stuff with white vinegar...sometimes bleach also.......as long as u rinse,rinse,rinse...and rinse some more....good luck with all that......

steve(redlakefalls,mn)

to fishlore hope you enjoy this site,lots of good info here.

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
welcome to the forum!

Sounds like you got yourself a good deal. If this person cleaned their tank reguarly doing gravel vacs, I don't see an issue with using their gravel.

kloseo

Well Known
welcome to fishlore

macifire

Welcome to the world's greatest forum

Top Bottom