2nd filter

chunkdaddy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hey guys,

I've got a 29 gallon tank with an aquaclear 50 filter. There were 8 buenos aires tetras, 8 zebra danios and a bunch of plants in the tank. Today I bought an albino bristlenose pleco and an aquaclear 20 filter. I figured the 50 is only rated at 200 gph, so I was short 90gph in filtration already and with the abp now in the tank, I decided to pickup a 2nd filter(it was on sale for $20).

Should I hang it right next to the 1st filter or should I put it on the other end of the tank?

I use carbon in the current filter and understand I don't need it in both. Question is which one should I run it in? The 20 would have a lot less, which would make the box I refill with last longer, but will this cause water clarity problems?

Thanks

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would put the filters on either side of the tank.
I don't think the carbon is needed at all, especially with plants. In fact the carbon will remove nutrients the plants need.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
All of my 29s have an AC50 and an AC30 on them. I have them side by side, with the bigger one on the outside. IMO the weaker flowrate next to the strong one creates better circulation. The reason I don't have them on opposite sides is because a tank that small needs a uniform current, again IMO.

Whether to use carbon is a personal choice, and is one of the great debates of fishkeeping. I used to use carbon, but haven't in a long time.

Last edited:

chunkdaddy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Thanks guys,

I use the carbon because i've got driftwood in my tank and my well water is heavy in iron. I notice at the end of 3 weeks my water starts to get brownish. After about 12 hrs with the new carbon in my water is nice and clear.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

Everything sounds like you're on the right track. More filtration is always good as long as your fish aren't being blown around the tank. Should you ever have to purchase another filter for this tank then I would recommend the Aqua Clear 70 at 300gph. It may be a bit easier on you just by having 1 filter that will do the job.

Ken

chunkdaddy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I thought about getting the 70, but the price on the 20 was too good to pass on. Plus, I've got an old 10 gallon tank that I want to setup as q-tank someday. I can take the 20 off my 29 temporary & use it on the q-tank.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I thought about getting the 70, but the price on the 20 was too good to pass on. Plus, I've got an old 10 gallon tank that I want to setup as q-tank someday. I can take the 20 off my 29 temporary & use it on the q-tank.
Good plan, but I would just get a cheap HOB for the QT and simply transfer the biomax from the AC20 to the QT filter.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom