2nd Bout of ICH in 2 Months!! What's Going On??

vin

Well Known
Reaction score
So I'm now 10 weeks in on this 55g, moderately planted tank setup and I've now gotten a 2nd breakout of Ich...Water parameters are fine. Tank has been cycled since January. 0-0-<5. Ph 6.4, Temp 77f. I'm in no way over stocked as I've had nothing but problems and have been building up stock gradually:

Current stock:
55g
10 Rummy Nose Tetra
1 pair Bolivian Rams
1 Clown Pleco
1 Bristlenose Pleco

I've had the Bristlenose from an older 20g. I moved her over with the new setup and shows no signs. The Bolivians are a month in the tank and are doing great. No visible signs. The Rummy Noses are 2 weeks in the tank and had not shown signs of illness before Friday. The clown is 4 weeks in the tank and shows no signs.

With the first bout it looked like my fish were caught out in the snow and it wiped out everything but my Bristlenose and Nerite snails. (School of Emperor Tetra, School of Neons, 1 pair of Apistogramma) Needless to say it was frustrating and took 2 weeks to get the tank cleared up.

Now, just over 4 weeks later I'm back at it with treating these guys. I've raised the temp over the past 2 days to 82f and begin treatment with Super Ich Clear.

Other than that, I'm at a loss...total frustration with this tank.

Any ideas?

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Rummynoses have a reputation of being Ick magnets. It takes many months for a new tank to stablize, despite positive readings on a water parameter test. That might be the stressor. If only the Rummynose exibiting symptoms, its okay to immediately up the heater to 86 degrees. It will gradually increase the temp slow enough not to stress the fish. Since already medicating, not a good idea to up the temp.
Once the Rummynose are established, they are awsome. Hang in there, things will get better.

Islandvic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Keep up with frequent and large WC's.

You're not using bucket method for WC's on the 55g, right?

OP
vin

vin

Well Known
Reaction score
A201 said:
Rummynoses have a reputation of being Ick magnets. It takes many months for a new tank to stablize, despite positive readings on a water parameter test. That might be the stressor. If only the Rummynose exibiting symptoms, its okay to immediately up the heater to 86 degrees. It will gradually increase the temp slow enough not to stress the fish. Since already medicating, not a good idea to up the temp.
Once the Rummynose are established, they are awsome. Hang in there, things will get better.
Well, 11 of the 12 Rummy Noses are dead...One guy is hanging on but still covered in parasites. He/she is active and eats like a horse. Have stopped medicating the tank and the temp is at 84 degrees. No other fish show signs of infection. Until I get this under control I can't continue to stock. Where do I go next? thx

H Farnsworth

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Just keep the tank at 84 until its been that way for 14-20 days. At that point you should be free of any ich. Then qt every fish you buy in this fashion ( unless you know it can't handle it).
Heat tank to 84f or add 3 grams of salt per gallon for two weeks.
Treat with a dewormer after the salt or heat.

If you do those two things you'll eliminate a large amount of potential pathogens. Good luck.

Side note: if you choose to use heat you have to make sure that the temp doesn't drop below 84 even for a few minutes, like when you do water changes. If this happens the whole process will be slowed and you'd have to carry on for an unknown amount of time.

OP
vin

vin

Well Known
Reaction score
Thanks. Unfortunately I don't have the ability to quarantine. I've never had an issue like this before. Been keeping fish for a while, but never had the ability to keep a quarantine tank.

Not sure where to go next for stocking. Especially because of this problem.

OP
vin

vin

Well Known
Reaction score
H Farnsworth said:
Where have you been getting your fish?
From an extremely reputable fish store. He specializes in fish and exotic birds. Have never had an issue until now. And a co-worker buys his fish at the same place with no issues.

Islandvic said:
Is the Ich an issue still?
The last of it cleared up earlier this week. I just did a 30% water change and am starting to lower the water temp.

New Threads