2nd annual Fishlore Art challenge? Should we do it again this year?

Cherie G

Hi everyone,
wow is January going by fast or what? I had planned on posting this a lot sooner but felt like February was still a ways off so here I am now and next week is going to be February! Would anyone be interested in doing the art challenge again?

For those who don't know about it , it was an art challenge much like a tame version of Inktober (google it if you aren't sure what Inktober is). We basically decided on a prompt word for each week of the month. The idea was to create a piece of artwork based on the prompt word for that week but had to be aquatic in theme. For instance one of the prompt words from last year was bubbles and I painted a picture of jellyfish. Another week splash was the prompt word and I painted a picture of a turtle jumping off of a log. You post your completed work each week if you want for the rest to see. There were so many awesome things that people did last year, it was very inspiring and fun. It was in no way a contest, just a challenge to get people's artistic juices flowing. Any art form is allowed, painting, drawing, sculpting, writing, music, photography, anything goes. Hope others are interested again, you can search art challenge on this site and find last years threads. Thanks!

Kribensis27

I didn't know that was a thing! that sounds fun!

Cherie G

Kribensis27 said:
I didn't know that was a thing! that sounds fun!
It was the first time last year but hope to keep it going! It was so much fun, for me anyways

Frisbee

I’m in! I did it last year and it was lots of fun. Any ideas on what we will be doing for prompt words?

I’ll tag a few people.

Canacullus NevermindIgnoreMe AJE Cheesecake KatLovesCoffee

Annabanana728

Cherie G said:
Hi everyone,
wow is January going by fast or what? I had planned on posting this a lot sooner but felt like February was still a ways off so here I am now and next week is going to be February! Would anyone be interested in doing the art challenge again?

For those who don't know about it , it was an art challenge much like a tame version of Inktober (google it if you aren't sure what Inktober is). We basically decided on a prompt word for each week of the month. The idea was to create a piece of artwork based on the prompt word for that week but had to be aquatic in theme. For instance one of the prompt words from last year was bubbles and I painted a picture of jellyfish. Another week splash was the prompt word and I painted a picture of a turtle jumping off of a log. You post your completed work each week if you want for the rest to see. There were so many awesome things that people did last year, it was very inspiring and fun. It was in no way a contest, just a challenge to get people's artistic juices flowing. Any art form is allowed, painting, drawing, sculpting, writing, music, photography, anything goes. Hope others are interested again, you can search art challenge on this site and find last years threads. Thanks!
Wow! Sounds like fun

AggressiveAquatics

Sounds fun I’ll do it

Cherie G

Frisbee said:
I’m in! I did it last year and it was lots of fun. Any ideas on what we will be doing for prompt words?

I’ll tag a few people.

I was going to ask people for suggestions, I am going to look at some past Inktober prompt lists for some ideas. But anyone with an idea shout it out. We need 4, if we get way more than that we could always have someone put all the words in a hat and draw 4 or something. I think the key is to use vague or general descriptive words that push our creativity. The biggest objectives are to have fun and to challenge ourselves and to NOT stress out over it.

SouthAmericanCichlids

How about "Current" as in pencilfish don't like strong currents.

Donovan Jones

Sounds like a bop I'm down

V1K

Sounds fun, is there preferred media, traditional art or digital, or can it be whatever, like, say, pixel art?

Prest12

Sounds super fun, but I’d probably take the whole month to draw the first thing. It’s unlikely I’ll post any art. It’ll be fun to see all of the cool things you guys can do, though.

Cherie G

V1K said:
Sounds fun, is there preferred media, traditional art or digital, or can it be whatever, like, say, pixel art?
Last year we did not restrict any art form, I like that idea, way more inclusive and interesting that way. Basically whatever medium you want to use is fine.

My prompt word suggestion is "overgrown"
Frisbee said:

I’ll tag a few people.

Yay! I suggested overgrown as a prompt and South American Cichlids suggested current. More suggestions needed

Frisbee

Cherie G said:
Last year we did not restrict any art form, I like that idea, way more inclusive and interesting that way. Basically whatever medium you want to use is fine.

My prompt word suggestion is "overgrown"

Yay! I suggested overgrown as a prompt and South American Cichlids suggested current. More suggestions needed
I like both of those!
I’m not very good at this kind of thing, but I’ll try.

Shimmer, depth, Contrast, Fire Red, percolate, Flare,

I’m just spitting out ideas.

Cherie G

Frisbee said:
I like both of those!
I’m not very good at this kind of thing, but I’ll try.

Shimmer, depth, Contrast, Fire Red, percolate, Flare,

I’m just spitting out ideas.
Those are all great, I especially like shimmer & percolate

Kribensis27

Sorry, for some reason I stopped getting notifications from this thread. I really like overgrown, depth, and contrast.

Frisbee

Yeah, I think my favorites would have to be overgrown, contrast, current and depth.

Percolate does have some real potential though. I was picturing water trickling through moss and into a shallow stream with killifish or panda loaches or something.

Cherie G

So what shall our prompt words be? We need 4. I (or someone else) can put all submissions in a hat and pick 4, does that sound fair or would you like to pick a different way?

Suggestions so far are (hope I didn't miss any)
Overgrown
Current
Shimmer
Depth
Contrast
Fire red
Percolate
Flare

Then we decide which prompt is for which week. You piece for that week is due by midnight of that Sunday (just go by whatever time zone you are in). Also you cannot start next week's prompt word until Monday after.

Start date for week 1 is 2/1 Due date for week 1 is 2/7
Start date for week 2 is 2/8 Due date for week 2 is 2/14
Start date for week 3 is 2/15 Due date for week 3 is 2/21
Start date for week 4 is 2/22 Due date for week 4 is 2/28

Keep in mind that you don't have to complete something for every week if you aren't able, just do what you can. Or if you finish late, post your piece anyways. I for one have the most fun seeing everyone else's work.

Frisbee

Cherie G said:
So what shall our prompt words be? We need 4. I (or someone else) can put all submissions in a hat and pick 4, does that sound fair or would you like to pick a different way?

Suggestions so far are (hope I didn't miss any)
Overgrown
Current
Shimmer
Depth
Contrast
Fire red
Percolate
Flare

Then we decide which prompt is for which week. You piece for that week is due by midnight of that Sunday (just go by whatever time zone you are in). Also you cannot start next week's prompt word until Monday after.

Start date for week 1 is 2/1 Due date for week 1 is 2/7
Start date for week 2 is 2/8 Due date for week 2 is 2/14
Start date for week 3 is 2/15 Due date for week 3 is 2/21
Start date for week 4 is 2/22 Due date for week 4 is 2/28

Keep in mind that you don't have to complete something for every week if you aren't able, just do what you can. Or if you finish late, post your piece anyways. I for one have the most fun seeing everyone else's work.
Sounds good! I like the hat idea.

Sputnik

Unless y’all are fond of stick figures you probably won’t want an entry from me, but I would enjoy seeing everyone’s work very much!

Frisbee

Sputnik said:
Unless y’all are fond of stick figures you probably won’t want an entry from me, but I would enjoy seeing everyone’s work very much!
Stick figures work!

Cherie G

Ok kids,
I had my husband pick our prompt words from a hat this morning. I figure just use them in the order they were picked. So here they are

Week 1 DEPTH Start date for week 1 is 2/1 Due date for week 1 is 2/7
Week 2 FLARE Start date for week 2 is 2/8 Due date for week 2 is 2/14
Week 3 CURRENT Start date for week 3 is 2/15 Due date for week 3 is 2/21
Week 4 OVERGROWN Start date for week 4 is 2/22 Due date for week 4 is 2/28

Good luck and have fun! Whoever finishes their week 1 piece first please start a new thread for just posting our results. It's not a race but figured that would be the easiest way. Title it "Fishlore 2nd Annual Art Challenge Results", that way we can all find it when we are ready to post our pieces or just want to see what has been done so far. Is that ok with everyone? Can't wait to start!!

SouthAmericanCichlids

Also please leave a link to it here. Thanks.

Cherie G

SouthAmericanCichlids said:
Also please leave a link to it here. Thanks.
Thanks for adding that!

AggressiveAquatics

How do I draw depth lol.

Frisbee

AggressiveAquatics said:
How do I draw depth lol.
Be creative! It doesn’t have to be a drawing either, you can use any type of art you like (including music and photography)!

Cherie G

AggressiveAquatics said:
How do I draw depth lol.
Use the prompt as an inspiration for your imagination. Whatever art medium you use, this does not have to be a literal representation of the prompt word. The only rules of the challenge are has to be aquatic related piece of art based on prompt word and done by the end date for that week. After that go wild ! One thing that helped me when I was stumped by a prompt word, not being able to come up with an idea is to look at all the different definitions of the prompt word, do an image search of that word etc.

shrimpyay

Love this idea, this will be really fun to participate in! Think I'm going to use this as an excuse to try and work on my quick-art skills. I'll allow myself no more than 30 minutes for each piece.

Looking forward to seeing everyone's entries!

Cherie G

shrimpyay said:
Love this idea, this will be really fun to participate in! Think I'm going to use this as an excuse to try and work on my quick-art skills. I'll allow myself no more than 30 minutes for each piece.

Looking forward to seeing everyone's entries!
I love your approach Shrimpyay, that is such a good idea! Something I would like to work on as well since I have gotten into plein air painting and sketching. Have to be fast then since light etc changes so quickly. I am not fast that is for sure !

shrimpyay

Cherie G said:
I love your approach Shrimpyay, that is such a good idea! Something I would like to work on as well since I have gotten into plein air painting and sketching. Have to be fast then since light etc changes so quickly. I am not fast that is for sure !
Oh definitely, I get how that goes! Give me something I can linger over for hours or weeks and I'm good. Give me something I must do NOW and it's terrible 90% of the time hahaha. You can do it though! We'll both become speed-artists!

Cherie G

How is everyone doing? Anyone but me still working on their week 1 piece?

Kribensis27

Cherie G said:
How is everyone doing? Anyone but me still working on their week 1 piece?
I am. School got in the way during the week. Now that the weekend hit, I can finally work on it.

Cherie G

Kribensis27 said:
I am. School got in the way during the week. Now that the weekend hit, I can finally work on it.
Good to know I am not the only one, work was crazy for me this week. Out of the 3 people who work for me 2 are out. One with a pending surgery and the other may have to quarantine. So it's been scrambling all week to try to figure out how everything is going to get done plus hoping my two workers who are out are doing ok. Oh well I have time today finally so I should be able to finish in time.

tapwater

hi everyone! i realize that this has basically ended since the last entry was due on 2/28, but is it okay if I do it late? I didnt realize this was a thing until I saw someone post their past-due entry and I kinda wanna join in on this ahaha. if not thats totally fine tho

Sputnik

tapwater said:
hi everyone! i realize that this has basically ended since the last entry was due on 2/28, but is it okay if I do it late? I didnt realize this was a thing until I saw someone post their past-due entry and I kinda wanna join in on this ahaha. if not thats totally fine tho
I’d like to see your entries! Deadlines are meant to be broken anyway!

tapwater

Sputnik said:
I’d like to see your entries! Deadlines are meant to be broken anyway!
indeed they are, thank you so much!!!

Cherie G

tapwater said:

Of course it is! Agree with Sputnik! We were never strict with the rules, they were more like guidelines for the challenge to give it structure. Please participate, that is awesome that you want to! Maybe there is a better way to spread the word next year, I think alot of people miss it because they don't know about it.

tapwater

Cherie G said:
Of course it is! Agree with Sputnik! We were never strict with the rules, they were more like guidelines for the challenge to give it structure. Please participate, that is awesome that you want to! Maybe there is a better way to spread the word next year, I think alot of people miss it because they don't know about it.
Just uploaded my first entry (its up on the other thread, and I also made an album on my profile so I can put all my entries there; if we end up doing this again next year I'll probably just keep uploading to the same album? idk). Excited that I have week one out of the way, and now I'm onto flare!
Maybe one way to spread the word is add links to the threads in our signatures? I suppose that's more indirect, but I don't know if we could really "advertise" any other way. Or maybe like, "Fishlore art challenge participant" in there, which could be embedded with a link to a main fishlore art challenge thread.... idk, haha. Those are just some ideas.
I personally was thinking about putting my art challenge album in my signature, like I have another album there, but idk. What do yall think?

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Find a Guru

Top Bottom