29g tank: my stocking idea

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by MaddieLynn, Apr 9, 2010.

1. MaddieLynnWell Known MemberMember

Right now I have 10 neons and 1 dwarf gourami in my 29g. I have a filter rated for a 40g tank on it.

Here's what I would like to do:

10 neons
    1 dwarf gourami
    1 pearl gourami
    2 male guppies
    4 female guppies
    6 small cories (definately not emeralds)

Technically, that equals 41" of fish, so according to the much over-rated inch per gallon rule, my tank would be overstocked. However, I know that there are many, many exceptions to the rule, so I wanted to see what some more experienced fish keepers thought of my idea. I know the guppies will breed like crazy, but I was thinking that the pearl gourami would take care of any excess fry and that if I wanted to save any, I could put them in an empty 5 gal. I have.

I really want the guppies. I'd be fine with leaving out the pearl gourami if I had to except that then there would be nothing to eat the fry since I think the neons & DG are too small. Does anyone have any suggestions that involve keeping both male & female guppies in the plan? Also remember that I already have the tetras and the DG so they have to stay in the plan as well.

2. NutterFishlore VIPMember

I think you should really only keep one species of Gourami in a tank that size or you will end up with territorial fights. I don't think Guppies go well with Gouramis either, especially Dwarf Gouramis. MY DG absolutley smashed the Guppies in his tank so I had to move them out.

I think you would be happier if you had a second tank just for your Guppies. With the 29gal I would go with one or the other of the Gouramis, the Corys & the Neons & that's about it. You could swap the Neons for something else if you wanted.

3. MaddieLynnWell Known MemberMember

Ok, I can leave out the Pearl gourami. I had heard that they are very peaceful though so I thought one would be OK with my DG. So if I drop the Pearl, will I need to substitute with some other large-ish fish to eat the guppy fry? Or will the guppies take care of it?

Also, I could change the cories to kuhli loaches, although I'm wanting cories more since I've already had kuhli's, but it's not too big of a deal. What I would really like to have is an RTS, but I know they need a larger footprint than what I have.

4. NutterFishlore VIPMember

The DG would eat some fry, so would the guppies. The Corys would be fine IMO. They don't hide like Kuhlis do all the time. Yes the RTS would need a larger tank than yours. Rummynose Tetras & Black Widow Tetras are good fry eaters though Black Widows could be a bit nippy for Guppies. You could always have the Pearl rather than the DG.

5. MaddieLynnWell Known MemberMember

I already have the DG. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice