29g tall stocking help

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Aneika, Jul 2, 2016.

1. A

Aneika New Member Member

stocking help- if I get a 35 or 45 can I do thus?

Edit: okay so my stocking in a 29 wouldn't work, would my original stocking an work in a 35g (29l x 12w x16 t) or a 45g (long I believe).
    Stocking plan:
    4-5 platy
    6-8 sterbai corycats
    2-3 honey gourami
    2 ram chichlid (original plan was Bolivian ram, but I don't think they are the ones with red eyes and the stripe like I thought)

Anything else I could do instead with a 45g that still has the cory's, platys and maybe rams but has a different centrepiece fish? I originally wanted angels, but knew 29 is too small. I like chichlids and gouramis a lot!
    Thanks

-------------
    Hello!
    I'm new here and to the aquarium world, but I have been doing tons if reading and I'm ready to set up my aquarium and cycle it.
    I just need some advice when it comes to stocking. Is the following okay, added slowly over the course of months in the following order?

4-5 platy
    6-8 sterbai corycats
    2-3 honey gourami
    2 Bolivian ram chichlid

I plan to have a lot of plants and have a filter rated for 50-70 gallons if that makes a difference in regard to bio load.

Is that overstocking? Also which genders should the fish be in this kind of combination? Would the Bolivian rams bother my cory cats?

Thanks !

Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
  2. Platylover

Platylover Fishlore VIP Member

I think it would work with a few changes-
    I wouldn't do any, maybe 1-2 platies
    6-8 sterbias
    1 honey gourami
    1boli ram
    The ram should leave the cories alone. Platies should be males and the rest dont matter.:) TexasDomer should be able to help.:)
    Welcome to the forum!

3. AshleyBetta

AshleyBetta Well Known Member Member

What are the dimensions of the tank? Longer tanks are preferred for corys, as they are bottom dwellers.

4. OP
    OP
    A

Aneika New Member Member

23.5 L x 23 H x 12.5 W

5. codyrex97

codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

A 29 should be comfortable for Cory cats

6. JeffK

JeffK Well Known Member Member

That tank's footprint really isn't "cory friendly." (Sorry!) (That's approximately the footprint of a 15 gal tank). Probably best for pygmy cories. You can probably do 1 Bolivian ram and a honey gourami, along with 2 male platies.

7. MikeRad89

MikeRad89 Well Known Member Member

That's not a 29 gallon.

That's being said, you can do 6 corys in that size tank. They shoal, they don't need a huge amount of room.

8. OP
    OP
    A

Aneika New Member Member

What is it?

9. codyrex97

codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

My tank calculator says that that's 29 gallons

10. MikeRad89

MikeRad89 Well Known Member Member

Strange 29 gallon. Most are 30.25 x 12.5 x 18.75

11. OP
    OP
    A

Aneika New Member Member

So back on topic!
    Anyone else have an opinion on my stocking? Last response essentially said I should cut back on everything. But I thought that things should at least be in pairs so they're not lonely.

12. MongooseALaMode

MongooseALaMode Well Known Member Member

I have a 29g with

1 female betta
    9 glowlight tetra
    1 adult and 6 baby green fire tetra
    5 upside down cats
    3 ghost and 8 amano shrimp
    3 mystery snails
    4 nerites
    1 batik

EDIT: Are there any fish in particular you really like?

13. Platylover

I see what your saying, but gouramis can get territorial with eachother and the same with the Rams. The only one the might like a 'friend' is the platy, but it will probably be fine on its own. MongooseALaMode, I believe your tank is overstocked. What's a batik?

14. MongooseALaMode

Batik is a nerite.

The only issues with my tank is with the cats and the messy mystery snails. I am in the process of making more caves for the cats since they are almost fully grown. As far as everyone else goes they are good. My glowlights and green fires school together(when they actually school) and my betta is only concerned with food. I have an aquaclear 50 and a generic sponge 10

15. OP
    OP
    A

Aneika New Member Member

Essentially from my research of what can fit in my tank the fish that I picked are the kind I really like.
    I don't think I care much for small fish.. I like catfish (which is why I want a school of cories), and I like chichlids and gouramis. So I picked honey because they aren't as aggressive and I absolutely love the way rams look (I like the red eyes and the black stripe through it), and I love the colourful varieties of platy and think it's really cool that they're live bearers.
    I also like shrimp and medium sized interesting fish.
    Edit: there were a few okay tetra varieties at petsmart when I was browsing earlier. I think I would honestly rather more platys than tetras though because they're all so unique coloured and awesome

16. MongooseALaMode

@Aneika
    What about

8 rummynose
    6 Emrald rasboras orCelestial Pearl Danio
    6 sterbai or pygmy corys
    1 Bolivian ram

Edit:
    Just saw that you don't like small fish. Well... If you want platys then you wouldn't really have room for much else since they are super messy and get big

17. OP
    OP
    A

Aneika New Member Member

Okay, so I'm looking on my local bst page.... would my stocking plan work if I got a 35gallon tank?
    29 L x 12 W x 16 T

Edit:
    Or there is a 45 gallon long (I don't know the dimensions), it's more money than the other by a lot but it comes with a stand too.
    I'm kind of worried that 45 gallons is too much for me though, how do you even do water changes on so much? Like fill multiple buckets if water?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
  18. Platylover

If you don't mind me asking, what's the difference in price? It may be worth it to get the 45g since you'll have the stand as well(stands can be ridiculously expensive). The bigger the easier it is to take care of. With a 45 you'll either have to fill up a bucket and dump it(re fill with water when your done with all the buckets) or get a python water changer. I've been doing the former on my 65g for years. It's not that difficult and gives you time to think while your doing it.;) I believe your stocking would work, with only 1 gourami, because you really should only have one. But that being said, you could have 2 females or a male and female, if you do a male and female watch for fry. I believe you could get the two boli Rams, but try to get a male and female as sometimes it can help with territorial aggression. You may get a pair though, and if they breed then they will get a bit more aggressive. But if other fish do not invade their territory they should be fine. You may, be able to add a small fish or two, but I would start out with this first. As far as what you add first and all, I would start with the cories, then the platies, next gourami, lastly the Rams. This stock is for a 45g tank. :)

19. OP
    OP
    A

Aneika New Member Member

The 35 is a killer deal if 60, but the 45 is still a great price of 200 (still a great deal for a tank and stand), which is what I was going to have to spend to get the tank I have running. But I was going to put it on my credit card, not pay cash.

Could I do an angel pair instead of the gourami(s)?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2016
  20. Platylover

Hmm... I got my 65 with stand for about 200. In that case Id do the 35. I'd say you could do the one gourami, one platy, maybe two Rams(you'll have to watch them), and your cories. Or a female and male gourami with one ram. If the Angels were the only ones in the tank I'd say it might work, but I wouldn't do it with any other fish in a 29 or 35. But I'll leave that to the experts.:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice