29g stocking question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by chunkdaddy, Apr 9, 2010.

1. chunkdaddyValued MemberMember

My new 29g tank has just finished cycling, so it's time to look ahead. I've already got 8 BA tetras & 8 zebra danios. In a month or 2, I want to add a Bristlenose Pleco. I'd also live to add 6 Silver Tipped Tetras.

Is this way too many fish for my tank? I can't seem to figure out the stocking issue.
    :usaflag:

2. wildboy84New MemberMember

Usually a good stocking method is 3 gallons per one inch of fish.

3. Meenu

MeenuFishlore VIPMember

Personally, I am not crazy about inch/gallon sort of rules. It really depends on the types of fish (adult size, aggression, gender, bioload, etc.) so many factors to consider.

Personally, I think the BN would be fine. Not familiar with the silver tips, so I can't advise as to those, sorry.

4. potatosValued MemberMember

this is a good sight, it is better then the inch per gal rule. by the way, i have an albino bristle nose, and i love him, but he is still super messy even though he is not full grown, a bit below 4 in. they are a much better choice then regular plecos, but a school of ottos will have a smaller bio load (but they are not as interesting) be sure to get a male, they get the interesting mustache, and should have some barbles even when small
    he also really enjoys driftwood, and its good for their diet

5. Jrobber

JrobberWell Known MemberMember

I have a Bristlenose Pleco in my 29 gallon tank and it does fine. It's nocturnal, so it may hide throughout the day, but sometimes it does come out to play! It should only get 5-6 inches big, and its keeps to itself most of the time, so it would be a nice fit in your tank.

You might get some algae wafers so it can have something to munch on, if you don't have much algae growth. I drop a wafer in every two days or so and it absolutely devours it pretty quickly.

6. Meenu

MeenuFishlore VIPMember

I think BNs also like driftwood (they slowly munch on it) and veggie like zucchini and cucumbers.

7. OP
    OP
    c

chunkdaddyValued MemberMember

There's no algae in the tank now. I figure in a couple months there should be enought to provide for a bn, plus supplement with the wafers. I read that the bn is one of the few plecos that continues to eat algae through out its entire lifespan. Haven't seen them in any of the petstores yet.

:;bb

Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
  8. OP
    OP
    c

The Silver Tipped Tetra's only get to be about 1.18 inches long. There top to middle dwellers. Should mix in well with my zebras and ba's.
    :;bananawarrior

9. Jrobber

Yeah, I saw a thread around here that had a picture of a Bristlenose munching on a cucumber. So if you got one soon, you could supplement its wafer diet with that as well. Do you have any local fish stores in your town or just big chain stores?

The reason I ask is because the Petsmart in my town doesn't have Bristlenose, but the LFS has them and almost every fish water tank, sometimes two of them. The bigger tanks, they do keep regular Plecos in, but they sure do have an abundance of Bristlenose.

10. OP
    OP
    c

We've got Jack's Aquarium. It's a chain, but I don't think its as big as Petsmart and some of the others. It's not the cleanest of petstores, though, so I'm a little leary. I did get my first 4 fish there and there still alive,:;bananawater so...

11. Jrobber

Yeah, the Petsmart here has some sickly looking fish, so I tend to only buy fish food from there because its cheaper than the LFS.

12. yhbaeValued MemberMember

I used to breed albino bristlenose plecos about 6 years ago. The food I fed were blanched cucumber, zucchini and broccoli stems. I liked cucumber and broccoli stems better because they don't soften and break apart as easily - especially broccoli stems. Just blanch them first, cut them into little slices, and put them into zip bags, freeze them. Before you feed them, put them in a hot tap water for few minutes and drop them into the tank.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice