29g stocking quandary

Discussion in 'midthought' started by midthought, Mar 31, 2010.

1. midthought

midthought Well Known Member Member

Just putting to paper my latest ideas about the stocking plan on this 29g that is about eight hojillion miles from actually being done.

I am having such problems trying to settle on a nice small schooling fish that round out the tank. So far, I am pretty sold on the following:

- 3 GBRs (1 male, 2 females)
    - 1 dwarf gourami
    - 6 cory cats (C. sterbai)

Tonight, I've been considering zebra or leopard danios. But I'm hedging on them because I need to do more research about their compatibility with the 80 degree water generally and GBRs specifically. I have read that they like 78 degree temps for spawning, so I don't imagine that they'll up and die at 80 though.

Other schooling fish I've looked at:

- Rasboras (just not that into their look)
    - Lemon Tetras (probably too big but also just not that interested)
    - Celestial Pearl Danios (love them but want to see them in person; if they're as pretty as the pictures, the only downside is the expense, as far as I can tell)
    - Neon Tetras, Cardinal Tetras (just a bit on the boring side is all)

Now to read about Rummy Nose Tetras before bed...

2. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Comments in green. As always, this is JMO... best of luck with your new tank!!!

3. OP
    OP
    midthought

Oh and one more fish I need to read up on:

- Tanichthys micagemmae, aka Vietnamese White Cloud

4. harpua2002

White clouds are beautiful fish, but prefer cooler temps that what your GBRs would like. What a shame, right! :p

5. OP
    OP
    midthought

Oh thank you for the comments! I was mostly posting to talk to myself, not sure if anyone was going to respond. :)

I was kind of hedging on 2 or 3 GBRs, as I'd read that the female half of a pair might attract too much attention from the male if the male has no third party to chase after. So the odd girl was meant to reduce bullying of the paired girl...but I don't know. I don't want bullying in general, but I see what you mean. I think that if I just got a pair and waited until the girl got harassed, it might be too late to try to introduce a second girl into the dynamic? I don't really know. The good news is that the GBRs are going in last though, to allow the tank to establish a bit...

Still considering among the many different schooling fish...I found lots of video of the rummynoses and think they are a truer "schooling" fish than the others, so I may get them. But I've also found others that are so pretty!

And I may well put off the dwarf gourami unless I see one in a store that I just fall in love with. >.> We'll see! :D

6. OP
    OP
    midthought

My initial googling for the Vietnamese kind indicates that 72-81 degrees is appropriate though (source:  ). The info on breeding does say to set it to 77 for breeding though. I wanted to look into them more later though. So pretty!

7. harpua2002

Oops, my FL etiquette is.... I just hit "new posts" and reply wherever... didn't mean to intrude on your blog! :p

8. OP
    OP
    midthought

Haha, it's not an intrusion at all. I just wasn't *expecting* a response. No worries, I appreciate the feedback actually. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice