29g Single Fish Stock

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Kaelico, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Kaelico

Kaelico Valued Member Member

I have a 29 gallon tank that I was thinking of doing a single species tank with or even just a single fish. The dimensions are 30L x 12W x 18H. I don't have it set up yet so I can't give you temp or parameters but I'm going to cycle it and make sure the parameters are right when I decide on the fish. I was thinking of a bloody parrot or an angel fish. Would either of these work? I know bloody parrots are kind of controversial, so if anyone has any reasons against them, I would be happy to hear it. I just really like how they look and their personality. What other kinds of relatively large (3-4 inch) fish could I have one or two of in this tank? I would prefer some kind of fish that is interactive and playful. I like cichlids but I don't think my tank is big enough for most kinds.

2. Arades

Arades Valued Member Member

3. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Blood parrots would do better in a larger tank. If you're only looking to stock one fish, an angel fish would be fine in this tank size. They're highly engaging.

4. OP
    OP
    Kaelico

I like the idea of a convict cichlid. I had thought of a goldfish but decided I'd rather have multiple and wait until I could get a bigger, shallower tank to get any. As for the convict, should I only get one, or is possible to get a breeding pair? Also do they do ok with cories or should they be kept completely alone?
    Thanks

5. Arades

Arades Valued Member Member

You could get a pair if you wanted to. Im not too sure if they can go with cories or not as i have never tried it.

6. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I would go with a single convict. A pair will reproduce and overwhelm you with fry - most LFS don't want fry because they breed so easily. I wouldn't keep one with cories in this sized tank.

7. OP
    OP
    Kaelico

Ok thank you. I probably won't risk it with the cories. If I do decide to eventually have a pair, are there places besides fish stores that I could sell the fry? If not and I do end up with more fry than I can handle, what humane ways are there of getting rid of them? I've been interested in intentionally breeding fish for a while, I just didn't know what kind to go with, but I don't want to breed fish only to kill the fry right after. And what thoughts do you guys have on blood parrots?

8. TexasDomer

You could try to rehome them via something like Craigslist or through your local fish club Facebook group, but I wouldn't count on it. They aren't in demand.

Rather than breeding fish where you don't have a plan for the fry, why not ask/look around and figure out what fish would be in demand, and then breed those?

Agreed with the above, no blood parrots in this size tank.

9. OP
    OP
    Kaelico

Ok, so maybe I won't breed fish. I'd rather just get fish that I enjoy and not worry about selling and profit. I just didn't want to have to deal with a hundred extra convict fry lol. So I'll either get just the one convict or figure something else out. Has anyone had any experience with African shell dwellers? I've heard they don't need a huge tank and can live together well. I like how they interact with each other and set up their own territories, but I don't know how well they'd do in my tank that has a smallish footprint and is a little on the taller side. Any other ideas for this tank?

10. _IceFyre_

_IceFyre_ Well Known Member Member

How about an electric blue acara?

11. OP
    OP
    Kaelico

I like that idea. I've heard they're relatively peaceful in terms of cichlids, so do you think they would work with loaches or cories? And how many is the maximum for 30 gallons?

12. TexasDomer

Shellies would be fine in your tank! Just keep lots of shells in there, and no more than 2 males to be safe.

13. OP
    OP
    Kaelico

Ok. Where do you recommend getting the shells? Are regular escargot shells from Amazon ok? Also do they do ok with live plants? Sorry for so many questions. I'm just trying to find out as much as I can about lots of fish so I have options lol.

14. TexasDomer

Yes to the shells on Amazon. For the live plants, I'm not sure.

15. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I would only do one, I'm not sure I would put them with any bottom dwelling fish in this size tank though.

16. MattS99

MattS99 Well Known Member Member

I was almost tricked into buying one at my local LFS by an idiot employee there. The guy I usually talk with told me that an Electric Blue Acara would in his words 'tear anything up' as soon as it was big enough to think it could. But that's just what I've heard. They are beautiful, though.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice