29g set up issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Outsider1911

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So i have a 55g tank that has been set up for about 5 months give or take and it is doing really well. So with my old 29g i plan on setting it up right beside it with a fish bridge connecting the 2 tanks. So i wanted to establish my 29g tank before i put the bridge in place, so i took one of my established aquaclear70's off the established 55g and put it on my 29g to "instant cycle" it and put the new filter on the 55g..gave it a couple days and added a group of 8 cardinal tetras in it... now after about 5 days all cardinals have passed away and my 29g tank is still not cycled... however the fish were dying about one or two a day not all at once so i am guessing i got a bad batch of cardinals. Anyway why didn't my tank cycle instantly? and what can i do to get it cycled successfully?

Adam55

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What is the stock and filtration on the 55? I know you had one 70 on there but what else is there? And how did the 55 respond to losing a chunk of its bacteria?

My guess would be that the 70 you moved had no food source for the days it was running on the 29. There was no ammonia. Your bacteria likely died. Cardinals can also be somewhat delicate fish. I would be careful adding them to anything but an established tank with constant water parameters.

Outsider1911

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
4 angels, 3 rams, 6 denison barbs and a pearl gourami ... has 2 aquaclear 70's on it and quite a few plants. The 55g had no problem with switching one established filter for a new one. No spikes of anykind.

Outsider1911

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
will just putting the fishbridge in help the 29g cycle instantly? or would it be dangerous to the 55g?

Outsider1911

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
a bridge for fish.... so that they can swim from one tank to the next.

fishnewbie33

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Look up "fish bridge" on youtube...lots of cool examples

shusband

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It may help with a cycle but I don't think it would have enough water exchange for it to be an instant cycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom