29G recovering from meds...help

1. Heather12404 Member Member

Some background info:
    Pretty sure I had a bout of columnaris...lost 4 panda cories. I used Maracyn and Maracyn II. It effected my cycle. I started getting ammonia readings and my nitrate level went down quite a bit.
    So 8 days ago I added a huge bottle TSS. I have used TSS to cycle my tanks, help when I add new fish etc.
    Before adding TSS I had the following:
    ammonia = .50
    nitrite = .50
    nitrate = 5
    I just tested my tank (3/16) and I got the following:
    ammonia = 1.0
    nitrite = 0
    nitrate = 40
    So now I'm wondering if I should add Prime daily and just wait for my tank to get rid of the ammonia...since I certainly have enough nitrates to do the job - correct?
    Or do I just wait for the TSS to catch up in a few days?
    Or do I need to do a big water change, eventhough I added TSS 8 days ago?

2. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

Im not sure if TSS is affected by the addition of prime, but the addition should be beneficial surely?

In that situation i would dose with prime but not so a WC of any kind, especially since TSS states not to.

I have a memory of the test results being skewed the first 10 days of TSS though? so maybe its just that for the time being?

3. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

Did you change out the filter media before adding TSS to the tank? Im wondering if the meds are still in there and effecting the TSS? Although you should wait the 10 to 14 days, how are the fish acting?

4. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

Prime and TSS don't mix. It will even tell you on the label not to put it in because it neutralizes the TSS.

5. Heather12404 Member Member

After the meds I did a huge water change and added new carbon back into the filter to get the rest of the meds out. The tank looks gorgeous....it was so nasty and covered in a white fuzzy slime on everything (except the fish) from the meds.
    The fish are acting normally and look gorgeous. I thought the tank was doing well. I'm hoping it's just the TSS hasn't done it's job yet...as it's only been 8 days.

6. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

If TSS says not to test before day 10, then i would ignore your test results

7. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

Water Conditioners should be used 24 hours PRIOR to adding Tetra Safe Start (TSS). Otherwise there may not be enough ammonia in the aquarium for the beneficial bacteria to feed from causing the TSS not to work as it should.

In case you haven't seen this information:
    https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/aquarium-nitrogen-cycle/58116-q-tetra-tetra-safestart.html

I have also used Maracyn and Maracyn II, in combination, with no ill affects to my cycle.

Best wishes for your tank and fish!

Ken

8. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

I would give TSS time to complete its work, unless the fish are showing signs of stress. One of the main reasons to not test too early is that the test results make us panic as we forget that TSS includes products to keep the fish safe from the waste buildup.