29g Possibles

jab91864

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
We are currently doing a fishless cycle. Personally I would like a pair of Bolivian Rams and some coreys and call it good, but it's not just me that is involved.

So I played around on AqAdvisor last night and have a "MAYBE" fish list...

1 x Honey Gourami (Trichogaster chuna)
4 x Panda Cory (Corydoras panda)
5 x Serpae Tetra (Hyphessobrycon eques)
5 x Glowlight Danio (Danio choprai)
1 x Red Tailed Black Shark (Epalzeorhynchos bicolor)
5 x Dwarf Rainbowfish (Melanotaenia maccullochi)

According to the site the above list of fish should be compatible with each other and our tank set up...

Any thoughts ?? Remember I am weeks away from actually getting any fish in the tank so I have time to play with the list and pick and choose . Would have liked some Cardinal tetras but it was an issue with the shark which someone seems insistent on....

NC_OBS

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If what you want is the Bolivian Rams why don't you swap something in the list out for them, like say.. the 5 rainbows for the 2 rams? then everybody could be happy.(of course I'm prejudice because I want to put bolivians in my tank too ;D )

Side note, when I asked about the RTBS a couple weeks ago for my 26G I got told no, but it might be because my bowfront is shorter(length wise) than a regular tank.

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think you're going to be a little overstocked with that list.

The shark needs to roam. My rainbow shark really needs the 46 gallon that he's in. He was really much less active when he was in a smaller tank and didn't seem to be growing either. Plus he picks at the zebra danios I have so I'm not sure about your glowlights.

Why don't you and the other person each have your own tanks and then you can have whichever fish you'd personally like in them? Not that I'm pushing multiple tank syndrome on you or anything...... :whistling:

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I wouldn't risk the RTS - I think they need a bigger (longer) tank and will give your rams trouble.

Also, a 29 can really only support 3 schools of fish - bottom, bottom/middle, and middle/top.

I'd skip the serpaes - very nippy IME. They terrorized everything in their tank, so I had to move them to the tiger barb tank - there they learned the meaning of the word NIP

The rainbows and danios are going to occupy the same space. You could keep each in low numbers, but the tank will look better with larger numbers of just one of them IMO.

I would refine your list to 1 honey gourami, 2 bolivian rams, 6 panda corys, 7 rainbows, and 8 smaller, non nippy tetras.

That would be a fully stocked tank, for sure, and would require excellent filtration.

Last edited:

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I agree with Lynda, looks overstocked to me too.
Serpaes can be pretty nippy fish. I don't think they'd be very compatable with a Honey Gourami, who prefers more peaceful tankmates.

Also agrees with Jaysee on the serpaes.

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I can highly recommend the rummy nose tetra as a smaller non-nippy tetra. They are very peaceful in my 30 and really keep to their own school, even when it's lights out at night.

I'd never visited aqadvisor before and just ran my 30 gallon numbers through it. According to them, I'm at 70% capacity and can have more fish. However, one of my species is extremely territorial when they spawn (the kribs) and it's important that the rummies not get cramped when they're chased away from the breeding area the kribs have chosen. So, it's really important to know the personalities of the species that you choose, not just the size. In fact, in my opinion, personality issues far outweigh size issues when it comes to picking my fish.

When I was stocking my 30, I came here and gathered many opinions from these very knowledgeable people and now I have a beautiful, peaceful tank.

Last edited:

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
This is kind of off topic, but to I want to re-inforce Lynda's post.
I have an understocked 30g. When my pair of Sparling Gouramis mate, they keep my Cardinals and Glow lights corraled on one side of the tank. I had to move another Sparkler and a Guppy out because of their aggression during mating.

jab91864

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well I'm not "sold" on any of it yet. Like I said the list was compiled on AqAdvisor and I added and subtracted fish for quite some time before I finally got a list that was good according to them...lol.

I also thought the shark would be a no go but it made it on their list which surprised me...

You have no idea how many times I have thought OMG we already need another tank...lol.

Do you think I could do this instead...

2 x Bolivian Ram (Mikrogeophagus altispinosus)

Yeah I know his shark is missing but this is all in theory anyway...

Thank you to everyone for input

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
...compiled on AqAdvisor and I added and subtracted fish for quite some time before I finally got a list that was good according to them...lol.
AqAdvisor is only one source of research. Personally, I'd rather come here and gather the knowledge of people with hundreds of years of experience between them. It hasn't failed me yet, but those "fish calculators" usually have.

Yeah I know his shark is missing but this is all in theory anyway...
In a community tank, by which I mean a "human" community tank, someone will usually have to give up a species they wanted. Your final result will be well worth it if you deal with the true compatability issues and the requirements each species has prior to stocking your tank. You'll be very happy in the end.

Kudos to you for doing your research ahead of time, by the way. Not everyone does. arty0031:

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Do you think I could do this instead...

2 x Bolivian Ram (Mikrogeophagus altispinosus)
That looks like an excellent stock list & would still leave you room for a small school of non nippy Tetras or something similar. I highly recommend Lemon Tetras OR Harlequin Rasboras. Those two will stick to the mid water section of the tank & are very peacefull. Rummy noses are also good but like to inhabit the bottom to mid section of the tank so if you choose them make sure there is space for them to go to when the Rams are defending thier territory.

The Shark definitley needs a bigger tank & can be rather aggressive to compared to your other fish. I would definitley leave that out of any stocking list for any tank under 55gal.

EDIT: AqAdvisor is unreliable at best & all of it's results should be regarded with great suspicion. It's always best to do as much reading as possible on all of the fish you are interested in keeping & to ask experienced fish keepers about thier experiences with those fish.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom