29g Planted sort-of-hillstream tank

BlackOsprey

Yes, I know this isn't a hillstream biotope, strictly speaking. But I've got a powerhead for a decent amount of flow, and I've set up some surfaces for algae-grazing loaches, so I'd sat it's at least comparable.

I got a bunch of chipped terracotta from a nursery's clearance aisle for cheap to use as my hardscape. I'm hoping to eventually add some long sticks of cholla wood too. Plants are all recycled from this tank's previous iteration- big amazon sword, tiger lotus, pearlweed, dwarf sag, subwassertang, assorted mystery plants.

Substrate is aquasoil recycled from previous build capped with small-stoned gravel.
Light is a Finnex 24/7. Gets about 8 hours of light total, with 4 hours at max brightness.
Filter is some sponge filter that I jury-rigged to attach directly to the powerhead.

I hope to cultivate a nice, big red cherry shrimp colony here, and later introduce a couple hillstream loaches. From what I've seen, hillstream loaches don't require extremely cold water or high flow (people have bred them in air-driven sponge filter tanks), and they are unlikely to wipe out a shrimp colony.

Attachments

• 20210908_221352.jpg
    20210908_221352.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 20210910_175939.jpg
    20210910_175939.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 13

Chris1212

Cool, and I can confirm the temp/flow for hillstreams. Mine are doing great in 78 degrees and moderate flow. I haven't actually ever seen mine on my terracotta pot, they stick to the "boulders" and glass.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
GlennO
  • Question
Replies
Views
SouthAmericanCichlids
Replies
Views
V1K
180 Gallon Tank River Flow Tank Ideas