29g + Heavily Planted + Diverse Community + Stocking Options?

Sxotty44

Reaction score
Hello new fish friends! 29g will be my Heavily planted diverse community tank, carefully aquascaped. Im looking for some suggestions for:

SUBSTRATE OPTIONS: (1) 20lb aquarium gravel and my old gravel in bio bags as structure
(2) This is what I have for main options (i already have them) plenty of Flourite Black, 20lbs Ecocomplete (black), plenty of Fluorite Red, and about 40lbs of Caribsea Aquarium Sand (white)

FISH: I dont know yet.. please help with fun, different suggestions, for the most diverse community tank possible. I dont mind having some semi-aggress or aggressive ones in there if they can still work. Some random things im thinking...
Schooling fish (many options i know..what do you think are most fun/interesting?) Swordtails...? Hingemouths? , pom pom crab/s, Kuhli Loaches, upside down catfish, electric blue lobster (crayfish), african dwarf frogs? exotic snails? plecos? any gourami sutiable? centerpiece fish suitable for planted 29? anything rare/harder to find?

AQUASCAPE: suggestions on design for your chosen fish suggestion. I have an array of wood and stone ive hustled the last few weeks to prepare for 'the great scape' (the day i'll do 4 tanks, 2.2g, 10g, 29g, and a 75g, next week June 2 or 3 likely! lol). I am painting the background black

LIGHT and FILTRATION: Tank will be equipped with a good 6500 LED and good filter. Dual outlet air pump and 2 stones.

Thank you my fish people - peace + gratitude

pattersonbear

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I love my rummynose tetras and if you are looking at crayfish I definitely recommend Mexican Dwarf Orange Crayfish, mine is full of personality and they don't hide all the time like other crayfish.

COHiker

Reaction score
I appreciate the enthusiasm (reminds me of me) but the initial proposals appear like a blood bath.

As far as I know, electric blue lobsters (blue crayfish) and likely crabs will eat any fish they can catch, which includes most of your list.

Many of your fish you listed grow up to be 4-6 inches including the swordtails, kuhli loaches etc. At that size your filtration is going to get overwhelmed quickly unless you only had like 1-4 fish total in the tank. Possibly consider wide striped zebra loaches or pygmy corydoras. I haven't had much luck with raising corydoras though, many of them are wild caught and not well adapted to local water.

I love snails. Check out the Ivory Inca Snails. Note they may eat some plants.

A gourami might work. a dwarf would likely swim around more due to size. A full size gourami might end up hovering alot on his territory. They're very beautiful fish. Paradise gourami are the most hardy.

I'm partial to neon tetras or cherry Barbs their antiques are quite entertaining for a small bait fish. Be wary of other barbs. Zebra danios are bullet proof and even raised on the international space station. White clouds are nice.

In a 30 gallon, I think it would be best to limit your schooling fish to 1 or 2 species, and get 6-10 depending on other stocking.

OP
S

Sxotty44

Reaction score
pattersonbear said:
I love my rummynose tetras and if you are looking at crayfish I definitely recommend Mexican Dwarf Orange Crayfish, mine is full of personality and they don't hide all the time like other crayfish.
funny somebody recc that for my 10g tank post- i originally said african dwarf frogs, and they said their mexican dwarf crayfish was way cooler personality, especially comapared to all the shrimps/snails in the tank.
Would these work in either the 29g or 10g? 10g too small id imagine. You can see my other post about what im doing with the 29g too if you can... add any insight.

Im doing 4 tanks this week - 5 gallon, 10 gallon, 29 gallon, 75 gallon

thanks for the input and help- please tell me any experience/community info for the crayfish. cheers

COHiker said:
I appreciate the enthusiasm (reminds me of me) but the initial proposals appear like a blood bath.

As far as I know, electric blue lobsters (blue crayfish) and likely crabs will eat any fish they can catch, which includes most of your list.

Many of your fish you listed grow up to be 4-6 inches including the swordtails, kuhli loaches etc. At that size your filtration is going to get overwhelmed quickly unless you only had like 1-4 fish total in the tank. Possibly consider wide striped zebra loaches or pygmy corydoras. I haven't had much luck with raising corydoras though, many of them are wild caught and not well adapted to local water.

I love snails. Check out the Ivory Inca Snails. Note they may eat some plants.

A gourami might work. a dwarf would likely swim around more due to size. A full size gourami might end up hovering alot on his territory. They're very beautiful fish. Paradise gourami are the most hardy.

I'm partial to neon tetras or cherry Barbs their antiques are quite entertaining for a small bait fish. Be wary of other barbs. Zebra danios are bullet proof and even raised on the international space station. White clouds are nice.

In a 30 gallon, I think it would be best to limit your schooling fish to 1 or 2 species, and get 6-10 depending on other stocking.
Awesome info.
Im not so green as I may seem, I just like to throw a line out there and see what i catch- rather than check a net, know what i mean lol?
That said, corona world has left me working from home, moved out of the city (first time 15years), first home, baby and pregnant wife etc... and i dont watch tv. so ive come to find hustling equipment and research my 'things' so to speak. Would love your input on my current project, been doing my basement man cave and am ambitiously scaping and filling my 4 tanks this week (been preparing about 3 weeks now), 5g-10g-29g-75g.
5g- betta and a few guppies, carefully aquascaped (marineland 5 g tall)
10g- (Aqueon 10g kit, been using over a year, community planted)- being repurposed for a planted diverse invertebrate tank (see my other post).
29g- heavily planted, diverse community
75g- lightly planted, heavily scaped, cichlid/syndontis catfish/ maybe african sideneck turtle

Please- feed me your knowledge and experience! 'the great scape is this weekend'. I can show you pics of all the rock and wood and equipment, i even have some spreadsheets with it all listed, crazy how it all breaks down. anyways thanks new fish friend - peace and gratitude

pattersonbear

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I believe that a 5 gallon is too small for a betta AND a few guppies (although anyone can correct me if I'm mistaken)

COHiker

Reaction score
I'm in a similar boat with Safer-at-home orders. I'm planning on cutting a cardboard 48 by 12 inch cardboard soon to practice some hardscapes for a hopeful 75g soon. Gluing rocks and "vines" or "roots" has been alot easier with the open cardboard method and then I transfer to the tank.

I think everyone here always enjoys tank pics.

5g, is your betta getting along with the guppies? I've seen it work sometimes and not others. Fancy guppies are awesome, though sometimes I have trouble with them.

10g invert tank. Nice man, Neocardini are amazing. Super low maintenance. I have mine on my desk so its easier to see up close.

29g have great community potential at least early on, and maybe later. I might convert mine to an apistogramma breeding setup so I can observe parenting behaviors.

75g - I have two friends with turtles. Neither can keep live plants successfully because the turtles will rip up/eat them. giant Danios seem to dodge turtles pretty well where most other fish would be missing a head. I'm not familiar with specific turtles species care but I'd recommend finding a filter with a nice pre-filter section you can more frequently dump out the large solid waste from.

I've seen some amazing 75g aquascapes before but recently seems like there's so few 75 premium aquascapes compared to the nano world. I see so many people drop $1000 bucks on a 75 gallon tank + mega filter and then just put a single rock and amazon sword in it and call it a day. So much missed potential.

Best 75g aquasape I've seen so far. Guy did 2 large hill/mountains, used tiny dwarf plants to mock scale appropriate trees, and then built a large staircase out of tiny blocks leading upto a small asia style clay roof house on top of the hill. beautifully done hairgrass carpet over the top of the hills.

Easiest way I've observed to do a cool 75g is 3d background, overstocked peakcock cichlids, and then overfilter the **** out of it. An 75g planted seems much trickier. My LFS owner is a competitive aquascaper who travels to the big competitions. She suggested using smaller tanks for practice and then scaling up ideas you like for the 75g. I'm following her advice now with a mind towards a thailand bluff design now.

New Threads