29g: Decent Sized Fish?

1. JaneAustenAddict Member Member

I won't be setting this up for a few months, but I want to get a head start on the stocking ideas.

What I am looking for are a few decent sized fish (not too large, but preferably 3 inches or more in length) that are not livebearers.

The first fish that popped into my mind were angelfish, but for some reason I am unable to keep angelfish alive for more than a few months.

Any Ideas on what and how many fish that are approx 3 or 4 inches that I can put in a 29g?

2. Gouramiguy17 Well Known Member Member

Any type of blue, 3 spot, gold, or pearl gourami would be good, a fire mouth chiclid, a convict cichild, rainbow fish

3. crazedACD Member Member

Rainbowfish! Lots of varieties, fun and interesting to watch :). Ask around for the Red Irians or Red New Guineas, they are gorgeous, even Bosemanis or Turqoise.

Gouramis are fun too but take care in stocking, one male to two or three females.

4. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Convict cichlids are not community fish. It's likely they won't play nice. ;)

Rainbows are a nice idea for sure. You could plan your tank around rainbows and have a couple of beautiful schools. :)

I'd suggest one angel as a centerpiece fish. I've done it before in a 29 and it was one of my favorite tanks. However, since the quality of your angels doesn't seem to be good locally, I second the recommendation for a pearl gourami. This is a beautiful and peaceful fish that is pretty easy to keep. You shouldn't have any problems with a pearl as your centerpiece fish. :)

If you're looking for something else as a centerpiece, I'd suggest a pair of Bolivian rams or German blue rams (more difficult to keep than Bolivians). Their cichlid antics are very entertaining. :)

5. JaneAustenAddict Member Member

How many rainbowfish would you suggest in the tank?

6. Toddnbecka Member Member

Rainbows need a larger tank than a 29, they're active, schooling fish that need swimming space. I have some dwarf chanchito's available that would work in a 29 if you want cichlids. By the time you have the tank ready the juvies should be pairing up. Males grow to about 5", females 3". They're very mellow fish, temprament is similar to keyholes, colors are awesome. Very easy to maintain, thrive in hard, alkaline water. Get along quite well with anything they can't eat IME. Adults are surprisingly effective at controlling snails, the juvies seem less interested.
    Male:
    344.jpg

Female:
    257.jpg

7. JaneAustenAddict Member Member

I would really like a pair of BR parrots, but I am fairly certain they would outgrow a 29g tank.

I love convicts as well, but I wouldn't know what to do with all the babies. Would it be possible to keep either two male convicts or two female convicts? Or would that cause problems?

The 29g tank I am thinking of getting is not the community tank listed in my sig. I am considering getting another one, but before I do I want to see what my stocking possibilities are.

8. peacemaker92 Well Known Member Member

What about a school of congo tetras? They're beautiful! Great suggestions above though :)

9. DRock914 Member Member

Bolivian Rams grow to 3" and are not very aggressive. You can look up different loaches too but stay away from the skunk botia because he is aggressive. Kribs grow to 4" I think.

10. Neji Member Member

I've had congo tetras before, they are fairly difficult to keep.. they didn't survive in my water which was fairly hard... but I kept the pH at about 7.4 consistently I guess they like more hardy waters and more acidic water too. But I don't think I will recommend that type of fish for you to get unless you are highly experienced with them or know someone who has had them before... but then again it's just my opinion. I've tried to raise them many times and I've always failed :(

11. MaddieLynn Well Known Member Member

If you can find them, African Butterfly Fish are SUPER cool!

Another option would be to keep 2-3 South American Puffers in there. They are a rather non-aggressive puffer and actually like being with others of their own species.