29g Build, Starting With Stocking!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by Frozen One, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Frozen One

Frozen One Valued Member Member

So I purchased a 29 gallon aquarium because I got sick of people on the lore telling me my tanks are too small to do what I want lol so here I am with a 29g and I just want to hear some ideas for what I could do or what has worked for others. I must say this before hand, I don’t like tetras, I don’t like mollies, I don’t like guppies. And I have a clown pleco that will be going in to the 29g.

2. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

Apistogramma are a really cool fish and you can have them as a centerpiece.

I really like cherry barns but you must have double the females than males.

3. OP
    OP
    Frozen One

I assume cherries are the little red guys lol, I had some idea of what I wanted but never got word back from anybody experienced. I was thinking
    2x banded gourami (A male and a female)
    1x clown pleco
    6x pearl danios
    5x albino corys
    Does this sound feasible? They’re ideal water parameters overlap so by that standard they’re good

4. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Not true, you can have an all-male school.
    Cherry Barbs are one of the most peaceful barbs you can get.

I have more females than males in my tank, but that's all the LFS had.

5. OP
    OP
    Frozen One

Appreciate the counter advice but I wouldn’t want all males lol. Double the females will probably keep the males busy. :)

6. 75g Discus Tank

I have an all male school and they are displaying well.

7. OP
    OP
    Frozen One

How large do apistogramma get?

8. Fanatic

Depending on your species, but most no larger than four inches.

9. 75g Discus Tank

Apistogramma cacatuoides is my favorite, but they are one of the most aggressive.

My favorite for a community would be the agassizii

10. OP
    OP
    Frozen One

Are they aggressive? Are they flake eaters or will they chomp on live foods?

11. Five 97

Five 97 Well Known Member Member

Apologies, I may have been the member who never replied. Things can get a little chaotic when you're running in between multiple active threads and I've also been having notification issues. :) The list does look familiar. I would up the number of corys and danios to 10-12 in both schools.

12. 75g Discus Tank

B
    Both

13. Fanatic

They can be a bit feisty, but usually only with other fish alike them.

14. OP
    OP
    Frozen One

No worries! I appreciate the response. If I do up the schools to 10 to each will I be overstocked?

15. OP
    OP
    Frozen One

Would they work fine with some danios do you think? I really love pearl danios they have such beautiful color

16. Five 97

Thanks! And no, if you take both of the schools up to 10 each, you won't be overstocked. But if you wanted to go with Apistos in this tank as well, I would just keep the corys at 8x (but still bring up the school of danios) and add a pair of A. borelli, or some other apisto species that have a cooler temperature range.
    I've had no issues keeping them together.

17. OP
    OP
    Frozen One

This is great information thank you, if I didn’t go with apistogrammas what would be another great centerpiece with the other fish I have listed?

18. Five 97

I think the banded gouramis alone would make great centerpiece fish for a 29g, but a pair of bolivian rams could work instead of the apistos in the bottom. They're still dwarf cichlids, so you'll see similar behavior from them as you would from apistos, not much of a difference there. They will get larger than most apisto species.

19. trash.binh91

trash.binh91 Valued Member Member

You like platties? I mean, you don’t like mollies so you probably don’t like platties, but still.

20. OP
    OP
    Frozen One

I don’t mind Platties actually I’ve seen some very interesting variations

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice