29g Black Convicts Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by Kyle W., Apr 18, 2017.

1. Kyle W.New MemberMember

I have been researching and debating on what kind of cichlids to get, and finally decided on Black Convicts. While looking at my local PetCo, I got lucky enough to find a mated pair that just had some fry. I have this 29 gallon tank with some Texas Holey Rock, with white sand as the substrate. Is there anything else I might need in there to make them happier? I think the many hiding spots/caves should be good, but any others opinions would be appreciated! My wife added the two frogs in love...gotta make them fell welcome in their honeymoon suite.

Attached Files:

2. MattS99

MattS99Well Known MemberMember

Sounds like you should be ok. 20 gallons are recommended for a breeding pair, so it's good that you're over the minumum. There still is a very, and I mean VERY small chance that the male could turn on and attack the female still.

3. Kasshan

KasshanWell Known MemberMember

to avoid domestic violence get some dithers th handle getting abused by the convicts. Fast deep bodied tetras like black skirts match convicts in color theme can diffuse aggression.

4. MattS99

Not too sure how they'd handle a dither in a tank that size. If you don't care about the color scheme, I suggest Colombian Tetras. I will brag about them to anyone at any time.

5. OP
    OP
    K

Kyle W.New MemberMember

I will keep an eye on him to make sure they keep getting along. Even though it's a small chance, I didn't realize they might do that.

And I wouldn't have to worry about the Convicts going after another fish too much once they have their fry? I know they can get pretty mean.

6. ChrisXWell Known MemberMember

You will probably have to add more hiding spaces. Some clay pots, more rocks, etc.

7. MattS99

I wouldn't even touch another fish in a tank that small with convicts, but that's just me. If you really want a dither, just go for a hardier, faster, bigger tetra (like Colombians).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice