29G Artificial Aquascape using floral plants from Michaels

Dennio

Hi, everyone I am new to the forum and just wanted to share my aquascape that I did tonight after spending 20$ at Michaels on the supplies. The tank has been established for four months. Below I have posted what's in my tank and some of the natural aesthetics

It contains:
2 Neon Tetras, plan to add atleast 6 more
14 3+month Adult Guppies
2 Hifin Variatus, plan to add 2 more
12 Ghost Shrimp
1 Cory

10+ 1-2month Guppies, Hifins

By the 1 Inch to gallon I am overstocked, but I got 3 filters running and do a 30% water change once a week complete with a cleaning of 60-80% of the gravel

2Pieces Drift Wood
1Large Rock from Petco
3Smaller Foreground rocks from my yard
EVERYThING ELSE is FAKE

IMG_20141129_205637_401.jpg
IMG_20141129_205110_552.jpg
IMG_20141129_205132_133.jpg
IMG_20141129_205140_872.jpg
IMG_20141129_205122_063.jpg

I think its a big improvement from the petco plants I had going on and unless you look at it with a close eye.. you nearly never notice any fakeness of the plants at all. (Atleast in my opinion)
Anyways feel free to comment with compliments and constructive criticism. Happy Holidaysow

Dennio

If anyone thinks I am in the wrong section I apologize, I think I should have posted to freshwater builds.. again sorry!

Teishokue

Looks like you need to find something short to cover the front of the plants so you don't have to worry about looking and knowing is fake

Thunder_o_b

Greetings, and welcome

You have a nice looking tank there. I look forward to seeing more photos of your tank.

Dennio

Yea I may get some actual java moss but I'm not sure if that would work XD

aliray

That moss ball looks real. I like the tank. Are the plants silk or plastic or a combination of both? Java moss would do well. How did you decide what was safe to put in the tank? Alison

Thunder_o_b

Yea I may get some actual java moss but I'm not sure if that would work XD

It will grow fine for you. Sometimes I think it could grow in a mud puddle. The big problem with the various java type mosses is once you introduce them thay can quickly take over the tank if you do not keep up with it. I have it in three tanks and am fond of how it looks.

Dennio

Hmm okay, would I be able to keep severe growth at bay by giving only LED light? Part of why I use the fake plants is because they require no pruning and so on, but I do want to hide more of the bottom of the plants to provide a more lush environment, plus some more live plants would increase the capabilities of my tank a little as far as fish go.

Thunder_o_b

Our tanks are all LED. All are well planted. There several good slow growing low light plants that you may like. The family of Anubis plants has a good range of sizes, and shapes to choose from and are not hard to keep. The fish generally will do better in a planted aquarium. Partly because the plants will help with nitrates. Partly as a snack for some, and fish feel more at home with live plants…Unless you have plant killers like large cichlids

Dennio

Awesome well I'll be getting a job at petco probably in the near future so hopefully I can get a good light setup and some deals on some plants. I was kinda thinking of doing a Valley between two big hills and a spiraled root in the shape of a tree coming out of one of the hills for my next setup but don't know what to use for the short grassy affect, let alone what to cover the root on top for the tree affect. Any ideas

Thunder_o_b

Awesome well I'll be getting a job at petco probably in the near future so hopefully I can get a good light setup and some deals on some plants. I was kinda thinking of doing a Valley between two big hills and a spiraled root in the shape of a tree coming out of one of the hills for my next setup but don't know what to use for the short grassy affect, let alone what to cover the root on top for the tree affect. Any ideas

The PetCo near us gets some nice plants. (just got two cardamine lyrata last night)
Check out the plant room here it should be helpful

Short grass plants generally like high light. Are you planning to get plant lights? In my 46 I am using plant LEDs from Marneland. I have plants that will not grow in our other tanks. Hair grass, plants with red in them need strong light of the right wavelength. The other tanks are lighted with "standard" LED lights and the plants do well. You just need to match the plants to the lights you are willing to buy…Then there is CO2 injection, but that is way out of my league. Someone else will have to speak on that.

If the spiraled plant is bamboo you need to know that is not a true aquatic plant, and will die after a few months of full immersion.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
gray_matter16
Replies
Views
Catappa
Replies
Views
gray_matter16
  • Question
Replies