2900 Lumen LEDs

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by catsma_97504, Dec 8, 2012.

1. c

catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Need someone who knows about LEDs to help. I have found a 36 inch LED fixture with 2900 Lumens of 10K light. And am considering purchasing 2 fixtures to cover my 125G tank.

How much light would this give me?

Both fixtures would provide 5800 Lumens of LED. Tank is 24 inches deep.

Would there be enough light or would the tank be too dark? Would there be enough light for low light plants?

Thanks for your input.

2. outlaw

outlaw Well Known Member Member

There is a lot to consider when doing leds for more than a light source. Is there a link to the fixture?

Personally I don't think it would be enough. You would possibly be able to use them and then use something (DIY led, t5..etc) to supplement them to get the proper spectrum for the plants.

Aside from lumens, you have to consider

Is led going to be only light source or supplemental
    Spectrum/Kelvin (for plants)
    Type of led (are they standard led or HO?)
    penetration of the led (will optics be necessary)

Hope this helps to get you started. If you need more assistance, I would like to help but please keep in mind that it's only my opinion and how I would do it if it were mine.

Outlaw

3. A

AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

You should look into the Finnex Ray II HO LED.

4. OP
    OP
    c

Thanks Outlaw!

I will have to dig around to find the link. It was on eBay.

LEDs were HO. There were 121 white 10,000k bulbs and 12 blue moonlight bulbs. So spectrum would be correct.

This would be the only light source; however this tank is in the same room as my high tech planted tank. So, would get some spillover from the T5HO fixture.

I only want low light. And would like to try a few ferns and anubias plants. This tank holds schools of Silver Dollars and Clown Loaches. So plants don't have much of a chance.

Currently this tank is lit by T8. Two single tube 36" fixtures. It is far too dark to even see the fish well! And I want to upgrade the lighting. Out of outlets, so have to stick with the two fixtures.

I've used LED over small tanks, but never on a tank half this size.

Compared to my current lighting I believe this would improve things. I just don't know if it would be enough. I could also purchase T5HO.

5. i

iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

This might be more than is needed for low light on your 24" tank.

LED's will definitely light the tank much more than any other, so if viewing is the issue, then your sorted there. As for whether or not the LED's are too much or not enough, depends completely on whether or not they are CREE LED's. CREE's put out a huge amount of usable light for plants and that amount will leave you close to medium-high light. One fixture would be better if they are CREE's, otherwise normal LED electrodes will be much of an unknown, and will require more testing.

6. OP
    OP
    c

7. c

chevyguy8893 Well Known Member Member

I don't think that would provide enough light to grow plants. If I remember correctly, any LED's below 1 watt won't do anything other than light the tank. Plus, they lack the light focusing ability that CREE LED's optics have. So, the light would be very scattered quickly from the source.

A fixture that seems similar to the beamworks fixture would be the marineland single bright LED which creates roughly 4.5 PAR 24" from the light. That value may be slightly higher with the beamworks fixture since it uses slightly higher wattage LED's, but I believe it would still be very low light. Then again I could be completely wrong on all of this.

8. outlaw

I found some comments and pics for the fixture.

They look to be hit or miss and depends on your lighting preference. At best I think you will be in the low range (which is what you wanted).

Per the last link on the last page, there was a comment about popping the optics off to remove the spotlight effect but doing so will remove the penetration you need to reach the bottom of the tank.

There was also mention that people needed to run 2 per side because of how narrow the fixture was (on a 24" depth (front to back)).

If I were to purchase, I would go in with low expectations and if they performed better than expected.. Yay, money saved. lol

So far I am happy with my 20gal diy led but I didn't have to pay as much as you would for a tank that size.

My leds are 5w each on manual dimmer only using 1 power cable.
    The fixture is .2w each with on/off only and 1 power cable per fixture.

It really comes down to if it looks to meet your needs/wants.

Outlaw

9. OP
    OP
    c

That's my fear. On a tank this size it wouldn't be any better than what I already have! I may just stick with T5HO lighting. I know how to work with it on a tank this size.

Thanks for everyone's feedback.

10. outlaw

Not to keep poking this with a stick but some more info.

That ebay post claims 2900 lumens using .2w leds

The "same fixture   is only 600 lumens using .06w leds. The pictures on ebay appear to be taken from the manufacturer. I would be skeptical of actual ouput. ebay listing claims to be "3rd generation" but I didn't find anything in a quick search.

The Crees I used (all at 700ma and max for my setup)
    Cool White x 6- 1560 lumen
    Warm White x 4- 852 lumen
    Neutral White x 2- 456 lumen
    Total- 2868 lumens using 12 leds vs 121 to get the same output. These leds are capable of running at 1.5amps with proper power and cooling

At 1.5amps (if i were to replace power supplies)
    Cool Whites x 6- 2778 lumen
    Warm Whites x 4- 1520 lumen
    Neutral Whites x 2- 812 lumen
    Total- 5110 lumens

Royal Blues are not measured the same.

If you are wanting to do LED, I would recommend looking into something with more reviews or diy.
    Outlaw

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice