29 gallon

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So since my mom doesn't want me to get a marine tank because I'll have to take it down in a few years for college she says I can make my tank heavily planted.  So I'm going to upgrade my lighting, get co2, better ferts, and may change some other ideas.  I'll record and discuss my findings since it's in the planning stages because I'm saving for it now here with anybody who wishes to discuss it with me. So far i'v been considering this light but am still looking around.  If anybody has any lights they like let me know.

Austin

OP
atmmachine816

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Re: 29 gallon heavily planted tank (Isabella you might be interested)

So far that's the only light that is reasonably priced and good wattage, anybody else know of any other good lights.

OP
atmmachine816

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

I'm using tetrapride fertiliser, anybody else use it or use any other ferts?

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years

HI ATM Sorry for not responding for so long but I haven't seen this thread before. Current USA are good fixtures. I am also considering either a Current USA fixture or a Coralife fixture for planted tanks. Both are very good in my opinion. I will be getting either a 48" long Current USA Satellite compact fluorescent fixture (130 watts total), or a Freshwater Aqualight Coralife 48" long (130W) fixture. Here:

OP
atmmachine816

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

The first one they don't have my size 30" without being expensive for me it's 158$ I think and two 65w bulbs would be a lot of light for me, two much actually. The single is reasonable but the one I showed before from Dr. foster and smith I like because of the moonlight on it. The other one same thing two 65w on my tank is too much on your 75 it would be good though. I might have to go with the single 65w from coralife though because of price.

OP
atmmachine816

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

I don't know if your using it now but I'v found the Florapride made by tetra works great. I buy the large bottle for 5.65 and lasts be awhile too. I'v noticed a great difference in my plants, just something to consider buying now even.

OP
atmmachine816

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

What does it mean that it has a lunar light in it? ???

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years

atmmachine816 said:
The first one they don't have my size 30" without being expensive for me it's 158$ I think and two 65w bulbs would be a lot of light for me, two much actually.  The single is reasonable but the one I showed before from Dr. foster and smith I like because of the moonlight on it.  The other one same thing two 65w on my tank is too much on your 75 it would be good though.  I might have to go with the single 65w from coralife though because of price.
ATM, yes, 130W would be too much for your tank, but it will be perfectly fine for my 75 gallon tank. It will give me 1.73 wpg. With this lighting + nutrient rich substrate (Eco-Complete or Fluorite), I'll be able to grow low-to-medium light plants without CO2 injections. This is exactly what I aI'm for. I'd use CO2 if it were not deadly for fish in case of malfunction, but because CO2 reactors have a history of malfunctions, I will not take that risk.

atmmachine816 said:
What does it mean that it has a lunar light in it? ???
This is why I am leaning more toward Coralife than Current USA. I don't think Current USA has a separate switch for the lunar light - I think the lunar light comes on once the regular light is off. And I wouldn't want that. I'd like to be able to decide myself when to turn the lunar lights on and off. I don't know if all (or which) Current USA fixtures have lunar lights, but I know that the one I'd have to buy does have them (and without a separate switch). I find it more convenient to get a regular fixture and buy a lunar light separately - it is very cheap online. This way, I'd be in control.

OP
atmmachine816

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

Ok but what does the lunar light do?

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years

I think it's just for night-time viewing. Fish supposedly cannot see this type of light during the night. So if one has any nocturnal fish, the lunar lights help us see their behaviors at night.

OP
atmmachine816

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

Ok so it's a moonlight and coralife has a switch so you can have it on at night, got it. Do you know if you have to use it over an open tank or a regular hood.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years

If it comes in-built with the fixture, then you don't have to use it over open water. Just turn it on and there you go, lol

OP
atmmachine816

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

fishaquarist

Reaction score
for fert I'm using seachems substrate and I'm using coralife lighting I have 151watts for now in my 65gallon plant tank. unfortunantly I don't have any pics of it right now just redid and made a lot of changes but I'm working on it. pm me if you have anymore questions I have 3 plant tanks currently running and all thriving majorly I'm trimming plants and bagging them up everyweek bc I have soo much growth

bhcaaron

Well Known
Reaction score
Lunar lights allow for a more natural light cycle in your tank. Some fish and some plants require a day/night effect same as we humans do. The mix of regular lights with lunar lights allow for plants to complete out their photosynthetic (not sure of my spelling) cycle and for some fish to live a more natural = less stressed life. Some fish actually need it, especially nocturnal.

New Threads