29 gallon

Gordinian

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Red tail sharks need at least 55 gallons, so I'd stay away from those.

In a 29 gallon, you could do a centerpiece fish (gourami), a bottom-dwelling school (cories), and two other schools (tetras/barbs). I'd also stay away from the tiger barbs as they can be very nippy.

monkeypie102

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I thought red tails need larger tanks... but idk never had one...
My 29g before I sent them to live in my brothers 65 was
1 betta (still have him)(you could change the betta for a gourmi)
6 black neons
4 black skirt tetras
6 albino cories
6 otos
3 mystery snails (still have them)
2 adult + baby assassin snails

I was told I could add an angel and was going to before i decided to change the tank to salt water :)

kellyiswicked

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have to echo the advice that many wise fishlore vets gave me - sharks need a minimum 55 gallons to give yourself a good chance of peace.

I disregarded this advice (well I tried rehoming, with no success) and kept a rainbow shark in a 36 gallon. I didn't have any tragedies, but he got aggressive with a DG he had grown up with and I finally pulled him out. He's currently in a decorated quarantine tank, but I caved and bought a 55 gallon to rehome him into myself. This is NOT the road I would recommend!!

Long story short: skip the shark, save the pain.

Gourami can be a little aggressive. I don't know a lot about how big blue gourami get, part of me wants to say 5" but someone can correct this. I honestly love them though.

Tiger barbs are nippy to say the least. Everyone agrees on that. Mostly depends on what other tank mates you want.

Corys are a great idea. I think pygmy corys are wonderful and they're tiny. Pandas I know also are small. You may want to consider sand for them, but it's debated that they can live happily on smooth gravel too.

I see you already have a few schools of tetras, but I would recommend finding a new school you'd be interested in having that's around 2". Then definitely corys and either a small school of top swimmers or a small feature fish. Some people don't like dwarf gouramis, and they can be prone to disease, but I really love mine and I think she has a wonderful personality. She's bossy but never did more than give a split second chase of one of my barbs.

Hope all of this is helpful! (and accurate - if not, I'm sure someone will correct me)
Best of luck!!

monkeypie102

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You could do tiger barbs you just need a larger school of 6-8 to theky keep their nipping to themselves...

oscarsbud

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Cories are awesome bottom dwellers. I love mine. I think the red tail shark is also a bottom dweller. Not sure if they would get along. Not to be a downer, but I had a three spot gourami that I had to rehome because it was such a bully. And tiger barbs can also be nasty fin nippers. But this is just from my experience. Wait and see what you hear from more experienced people on the forum.

d again

Last edited:

bryce1217

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
ok, 1 gourami, school of some sort of cories (depending on what my lfs sells) and tetras of some sort, maybe 7 tiger barbs. will cherry barbs work? does this sound fully stocked? still not sure on the cories though. idk if my lfs sells them.

monkeypie102

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So your thinking
1 gorumi
6 cries (I hope 6)
6 cherry barbs
Sounds good to me so far! You could add another schooling fish if you wanted :)

Gordinian

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I would still stay away from the tiger barbs and go with something like posted above ^

If you don't do cories, you could try ottos, just make sure you have enough algae, as that's their only food source.

monkeypie102

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Tigers are more docile if in larger schools... but I digress
And you could actually do otos with cories since cries are scavamgers and otos will eat any algae in your tank... plus (at least mine did) the cories can teach the otos how to eat algae wafers!

monkeypie102

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think the BA get to big for a 29 but i don't remember need to google that one
But a group of the other two sound fine to me...

bryce1217

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
ok then. im thinking
1 blue gourami
7 cherry barbs
5 male rosy barbs
5 giant danios
possibly 6 cories
thanks for all your help!

AlanGreene

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Corries have different requirements depending on what type so make sure to try and get a species that will fit in well with whatever other fish you get! Corries are awesome though you'll love them!

monkeypie102

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The only kind that wouldn't fit are emeralds as they grow to 3x the size of other cories...

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom