29 gallon temperate stream build

Donovan Jones

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I decided to set up a 29 gallon because I miss having fish since I downgraded to jars and seed shrimp. Substrate is a mixture of sand and gravel, some pebbles and rocks added as well, and the back is planted with vallisneria and elodea canadensis. Its unheated. A better light is on the way, should be here in 2 days. For stocking, I've added scuds and snails so far, but I'm planning on collecting from a creek for most of the fish, legally of course. I did some snorkeling to look to see what my options are, there appear to be red side dace, blacknose dace, darters, Chubs, gambusia, and a few suckers. I plan to do 8 blacknose dace, 2 trios of gambusia, and then I'll be buying some zebra danios, about 6, and maybe 5 corydoras trilineatus. Contemplating swapping out the elodea for something like ludwigia, for a little more variety. Suggestions welcome, pics on the way

MrBryan723

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Fish store fish and wild fish don't always mix well. There's a much higher risk of disease on both ends, so be extra vigilant with your quarantine methods, and I strongly advise quarantining in this case. Your stocking numbers are rather heavy for a 29g. You might want to consider leaving out a school or 2, or more frequent water changes and more live plants.

OP
Donovan Jones

Donovan Jones

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The back half is gonna be solid vallisneria, I'll be getting the natives well before the pet store fish, so they will be quarantined well. The more I think about it the more I want to keep it simpler and just do a species tank with the dace. Had a massive school before in my dad's tank and I kinda miss it. Granted that took years to establish, but it was worth it.

New Threads