29 Gallon Tankmates and Plants Suggestions

ChaoticGamerCG

Hello guys,

Recently was given an old 29 gallon tank (30Lx12Wx18H) and after cleaning it out I am ready on what to do with it.

My plan for the fish is:

1x Honey gourami

10x Harlequin Rasboras

10x Pygmy Corydoras

6x Amano Shrimp

1x Nerite Snail

I'm a bit torn on the pygmy corydoras. They are one of my favorite fish but I already have two tanks that have pygmy cories. I was possibly thinking of switching them out for either Salt and Pepper Corydoras or Albino Corydoras but I'm not sure the tank with the other tankmates would allow for a proper school of them. If I do switch to them, I want to get enough that they display proper school behavior but with the research, I've done I get mixed answers and I'm not sure if the current setup can house all of them. What do you guys think? If I were to get possibly 6, would that be good for them?

Aqadvisor says its 73% full with the pygmies and 85% full with the peppered/albino cories but I get mixed opinions if it is reliable so what do you guys think? Is that too much? Do I have to worry about the rasboras breeding and overstocking the tank? Any other suggestions for tank mates?

I plan on getting a heater to keep the water around 75F (I believe that is a good temp for the fish) and two sponge filters (1 Large and 1 Medium of Coarse Sponge Filter | Aquarium Filter for Fish Tanks | Fish Filter). I plan on having substrate meant for planted tank with 2 inches of fine sand on top for the pygmy corydoras.

Now I plan on making it heavily planted but I'm not sure what plants to do since I am making it low tech (No Co2). I was thinking a mix of java fern and amazon swords for the background (might switch one out with vallisneria, not sure yet), probably one or two dwarf lily bulbs and some pygmy chain swords for the foreground, and a few Rotala Rotundifolia or hornwort for the mid for starters but not sure after that. Are those good for the fish as well? Do you guys have any suggestions? Any help with be appreciated with the fish and plants! Looking forward to hearing what you guys have to say!

shrimpscaper

Another small cory species I see recommended is panda cories. Doesn't seem like with 6 of the peppered or albino you would be overstocked. I don't think you would have issues with the rasboras breeding.

For additional plants you can look into anubias, bucephalandra, cryptocoryne, floaters, ferns, mosses. Plant websites will usually have a section on the site that mentions low tech plant options. Some stems you might have issues if the light level is too low.

ChaoticGamerCG

Another small cory species I see recommended is panda cories. Doesn't seem like with 6 of the peppered or albino you would be overstocked. I don't think you would have issues with the rasboras breeding.

For additional plants you can look into anubias, bucephalandra, cryptocoryne, floaters, ferns, mosses. Plant websites will usually have a section on the site that mentions low tech plant options. Some stems you might have issues if the light level is too low.
Ah, thank you for the plant suggestions! I'll definitely have a look into those. Good to know 6 of the albino or peppered cories will do fine if I plan to switch to them. Now I'm more leaning towards getting them haha, thanks again!

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
emilymg
  • Question
Replies
Views
NearMeBettas
Replies
Views
MacZ