29 gallon tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by chunkdaddy, Mar 21, 2010.

1. chunkdaddyValued MemberMember

I'm looking at buying a 29 gallon tank in the near future. I'm going to get a Aqua clear 50 filter for it and probably a stealth heater. I would like to hear some advice/opinions on stocking, gravel and plants.

I have 2 buenos aires tetras and 2 zebra danios right now, in a very small tank. I will move these guys into my new tank to start, but would like to add more. What I would like to do is add 4 more zebras and buenos, plus 6 silver tipped tetras and 1 otto cat. Does this sound like to many?

As far as plants, I figure to start with 3 or for java ferns. What would be best for these plants gravel or sand? I've heard anywhere from 1lb of gravel per gallon of water to 2.5 lbs of gravel per gallon of water. What's the right amount for plants?

Thanks.

2. funkman262

funkman262Well Known MemberMember

I've never kept those fish before so sorry I can't help with the stocking. I haven't heard of the 1lb/gal rule for gravel before but it doesn't seem very logical to me. Typically, you need enough to allow the roots to take hold (in other words, small foreground plants may only need 1" while large background plants may need 3") so this obviously depends on the dimensions of your tank to determine how much sand/gravel you need. For plants, eco-complete is very popular but flourite is good as well (except that it requires intense cleaning). Also, the types of plants you can keep will depend largely on your lighting.

3. benjaminBreaker

benjaminBreakerValued MemberMember

I would definitely add more danios and tetras. They are schooling fish and do extremely well in schools.(6+) And your otto and other tetras sound good. As for the substrait, Personally, I would go gravel, but sand works well for plants if you don't want them going anywhere, but is best for larger plants. Java fern would be fine in gravel. As for the pound per gallon issue, I've always heard that 1lb per gallon is good. However, if you plan on keeping more plants, I would suggest 1.5-2lbs of gravel per gallon. Java fern is notorious to attaching itself to driftwood, ornaments and such, so watch out for that.
    Java fern do well in many temperatures, pH levels, low to high light conditions, and can even survive in water with a high salt level.
    However, tetras as well as catfish, and I think danios too(somebody correct me if I'm wrong), can't stand salt. They are scaleless and they have issues with the salt. It can kill them!

Hope this helped! :D

4. OP
    OP
    c

chunkdaddyValued MemberMember

Thanks guys, your input we really help me! I'm a clueless newbie who is trying not to kill my fish.

5. benjaminBreaker

benjaminBreakerValued MemberMember

That's okay, we are all new at some point. You'll learn soon enough, that's what we're here for!
    Good luck!

6. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Buenos aires tetras are notoriously nippy fish, and increasing the school size does nothing to help this. since you only have 2, i would trade them in for a more peaceful tetra, like von rios - that will allow you more stocking options.

i had my eye on BA tetras for my albino tank, which would have an angel pair as the centerpieces, but had to give up on the tetras after doing my research. to me it is not worth the risk.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice