29 Gallon Tank Stocking

ginkgomw

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hi! I am redoing one of my 29 gallon tanks and was wondering if what I want to do would be feasible, as well as if anyone has any ideas. So far, I know I want to have one Bolivian ram and one cryptoheros nanoluteus. I figure I should just do one of each instead of pairs since they're both pretty peaceful and have similar requirements, but could be aggressive if they start breeding, plus the footprint isn't huge. I also would like to put in at least 3 (maybe up to 6, with ratios of 1 male to 2 females?) peacock gudgeons, and was wondering if that seems like a reasonable idea? Beyond that, if I could, maybe some smaller but cool "don't see that every day" schooling fish? Let me know if you have any ideas or concerns!

marmaaa

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I am no expert but what about ember tetras they are orange, small, and could easily school in a 29g just not sure if they could be eaten because of how small?

OP
G

ginkgomw

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
marmaaa said:
I am no expert but what about ember tetras they are orange, small, and could easily school in a 29g just not sure if they could be eaten because of how small?
They are a cute fish, and definitely a good option! But yeah, I would wonder about their size with the cichlids full-grown

OP
G

ginkgomw

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
marmaaa said:
Hm. What about about a school of diamond tetras? Or any other medium-sized tetras?
Oh yeah, those would be great! Their fins remind me a lot of Congo tetras - I came across them looking around at a bunch of different tetras and barbs and love the look of them but don't have the space (the Congo tetras, I mean)

marmaaa

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Oh those are pretty but big, again I'm no expert but I think a schooling fish that around 2in maybe the best option for the tank and not be eaten.

OP
G

ginkgomw

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
marmaaa said:
Oh those are pretty but big, again I'm no expert but I think a schooling fish that around 2in maybe the best option for the tank and not be eaten.
Oh yeah, definitely haha I meant that I like the diamond tetras because they look like a more reasonably-sized alternative

OP
G

ginkgomw

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
marmaaa said:
Oh also, you could try cardinal tetras for more color?
Yeah, cardinals are always good. I've been looking around to see if I can find something a little more unusual but definitely a good option and like you said plenty of color in a little fish

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Bolivians are social fish, so I would make it 2. I don't know much about Cryptoheros nanoluteus but what I'm reading about them seems like they are also social. I would do one or the other, especially in a 30 inch tank, and Seriously Fish says that they would appreciate bigger tanks anyways..

OP
G

ginkgomw

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
FinalFins said:
Bolivians are social fish, so I would make it 2. I don't know much about Cryptoheros nanoluteus but what I'm reading about them seems like they are also social. I would do one or the other, especially in a 30 inch tank, and Seriously Fish says that they would appreciate bigger tanks anyways..
Good to know, thank you! Do the rest of the stocking choices look okay?

OP
G

ginkgomw

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
FinalFins said:
I'm partial to diamond tetras. :D
And I may have just seen some scrolling through my lfs Facebook page... I may have a decision made! :p

Does anyone have experience with the cichlids (either the rams or yellow convicts) and peacock gudgeons together? That was probably my biggest compatibility concern

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
ginkgomw said:
Does anyone have experience with the cichlids (either the rams or yellow convicts) and peacock gudgeons together? That was probably my biggest compatibility concern
They both inhabit the same space of the tank, and probably would compete for caves/places to spawn.. In a bigger tank its possible but in a 29 I would not.

OP
G

ginkgomw

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
FinalFins said:
They both inhabit the same space of the tank, and probably would compete for caves/places to spawn.. In a bigger tank its possible but in a 29 I would not.
Good to know, thank you!

New Threads