29 Gallon Tank ~ One School Or Two?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by blissfulbunny, Apr 15, 2017.

1. blissfulbunny

blissfulbunny Valued Member Member

I'm thinking ahead (still working on plants/cycle).

If I went with two moderately large schools of nano fish, say 8-10 each of rummynose tetra and green neon tetra, will they have room enough to roam (as two schools) in my planted 29 gallon? Or should I pick one or the other (and go with a larger school)? I purposefully kept the front half of the aquarium open for schooling, with a variety of plants in the back.

Decisions. I got sand for Corys. It seems they school and it's best to have 5-6. I would love 5-6 Sterba Corys, 3 mini plecos, and 2-3 male guppies in addition to my school(s).

My last tank was a 10 gallon, which I kept pristinely clean. I'm not sure what is best for the 29 gallon. And what is best for the fish!

Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  2. AllieSten

AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

What about harlequin rasboras instead of the second school of tetras? That way you can have two different types of fish. I am doing black skirt tetras and rasboras in mine with false julii corydoras. And also a couple of Bolivian Rams. They are being added to 5 glo-tetras and a Dwarf Gourami. That is the plan anyways, it may change before I actually get them lol

Edit: I just realized you said nano fish.. you can ignore my post if you want. lol

3. Arades

Arades Valued Member Member

Yeah it should be fine.

4. JeffK

JeffK Well Known Member Member

I would stick with just 1 pleco in a 29 gal. Even the smaller plecos like bristlenose and clown plecos are big poopers so they contribute a large bioload.

5. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

What mini pleco are you thinking of?

6. B

Betrayer Well Known Member Member

Both rummy nose tetras and green neons are beautiful fish! The decision about one or two schools really comes down to personal preference. Two schools allows you to enjoy two different types of fish and offers some visual variety. One larger school can have a very strong visual impact and may look more cohesive.

I agree that you would be better off sticking with one bristlenose pleco. Luckily, they are not schooling fish and would be perfectly comfortable as the only pleco in the tank.

Cories are such sweet fish. I love their personalities. I would suggest having at least 6, possibly 7-8.

There are a few members who are very knowledgable about stocking, so maybe they will chime in too. Best of luck with your new tank!

7. OP
    OP
    blissfulbunny

Oh great, I didn't realize plecos are solitary fish. I will only get one. I just found out the bristlenose pleco doesn't get big, so I'll want one of those.

All my life, one of my least fav colors has been red. I never wear it. Who knows why. I think the red on rummynose tetras is cute. But I don't like full on orange to red fish. My fav color is blue. If I found a blue fish that is around 1-2" that isn't a nipper or have aggression problems, that would be ideal.

Now if I could just find a fish to match my sofa (art joke).

8. B

Betrayer Well Known Member Member

Green neons have a lot of blue on them, so they might be a great choice for you! You will definitely be able to find guppies with blue shades too. If you decided to do something different from the guppies, a single powder blue dwarf gourami may be nice.

I agree that a bristlenose pleco is a great choice for you. They are kind of odd-looking, but in a totally adorable way :)

9. OP
    OP
    blissfulbunny

Ya the bristlenose is really ugly-cute! Green neons are definitely in the top five.

10. OP
    OP
    blissfulbunny

Oh great, I didn't realize plecos are solitary fish. I will only get one. I just found out the bristlenose pleco doesn't get big, so I'll want one of those.

11. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I would do 2 schools, personally. You could do two schools of 8 in the middle and one for the bottom.

12. OP
    OP
    blissfulbunny

yes I was thinking if i went for two schools it would be great to choose fish in different parts of the tank.

13. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

I would just go with one larger school, especially if you are adding pleco. You could have 2 schools if they were nano fish but I wouldn't class rummynoses and nano fish.
    I would stick to one pleco.
    The cories would be happier in a larger group and you have room for more.

So full stocking would be
    10-12 rummynoses or green neon
    8 sterbai cores
    2-3 guppies
    1 clown or BN

Or
    8 green neon
    8 ember tetras or similar
    8 sterbai cores
    2-3 guppies
    1 clown or BN

14. OP
    OP
    blissfulbunny

I will likely go with one school as I will be providing that space to move about. I keep getting caught in cute versus colorful. Rummynose Tetras are so cute I can hardly stand it. LOL, I love them. But then, the Neon Green Tetras are so beautiful. They look blue, which is my favorite color. Choosing bites, lol.

15. Anders247

It's a 29. You can have two schools of fish that are not 'nano'. I would just make it two groups of 8, no more.
    I mean fish like rummynose and cardinal, 1.5-2.2 inches in length.

16. OP
    OP
    blissfulbunny

So 8 rummynose, 8 green neon, and 8 salt & pepper corys would work in a 29?

17. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

Rummynose need warmer water than the salt & pepper cory

18. OP
    OP
    blissfulbunny

I checked the freshwater fish page. Rummynose Tetra range is listed as 72°F - 80°F.

Salt & pepper cory range is listed as 77°F - 80°F, and there was a note that they "will adapt to a wide range of water parameters but will do well when the tank temperature is kept in the high 70's F.

I keep my tank at 77 degrees. It sounds like I would be okay??

19. Anders247

I wouldn't keep salt and pepper cories above 76, where did you read that they are good in the high 70s?
    I would do sterbai or aeneus cories instead.

20. OP
    OP
    blissfulbunny

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice