29 Gallon Tank... anything else? Swords?

rae64

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Well, I already have 29 gallon tank that is pretty well stocked. I was just wondering if there was room for anything else. I was looking at my tank, and realized that I really only have 4 colorful fish... my 3 platys, and sometimes my pearl gouramI (IF he is in a good mood) If anyone has suggestions for something I could add for color (IF I have room for anything...) please let me know! I was thinking a possible pair of swords, but not sure... they basically look like big platys to me, so not sure on those guys... lol I really have no idea Would I be overstocked with a school of neons?

Stocking is:

1 Male pearl gourami
1 Bolivian Ram (not colored up yet, he is still young though)
3 Platys (1 m, 2 fem-- babies aren't an issue, mr. pearl eats them all!)
2 Balloon mollies (one is a baby, the other a male)
5 Albino cory cats
1 BN Pleco

Thanks for any suggestions!

Also: A canister filter is in my future, if that makes a difference... thanks! Suggestions on this welcome too...

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hmmm, honestly the tank sounds pretty well stocked to me. You have a lot going on in most levels of your tank. If you think some top dwellers might work for you, have you considered hatchets? They are a bit more delicate than anything else in your tank, but stay almost exclusively at the top so you might be able to get away with them. Just keep on top of your maintenance (as I know you will) and it should work out.

What is your water change schedule like (frequency, percentage)? What are your water parameters like, typically? What canister are you looking at getting?

Oh, and how is your Bolivian ram doing?

OP
rae64

rae64

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Not sure on the canister, I haven't been able to get much research in. School has been nuts (rush to squeeze everything in before the holidays... silly teachers) plus it's swim season, and I'm a swimmer 4 hour meets cut into homework time severely!

Water change schedule, usually weekly or bi-weekly, 50%. Even when I miss a week, my nitrates (or nitrites, can't remember, whichever is the least toxic one...) stay wayyy down. Massive amazon sword and lots of other plants, thank you for your assistance!

I'm a bit hesitant to add anything to the top. The little balloons and the pearl are always at the top, and the platys spend quite a bit of time up there too. I do think the balloons are weakening...I lost my female this week (just super stressed, so many babies, and being deformed, plus she wasn't young.) I may not have them much longer... the youngster is doing well though. Dad just seems a bit off.

I was looking for more mid-level, as there is the least activity there. My bottom is fairly active too, with the corys and the little bolivian (Who, by the way is doing great. Mr. Personality, so cute! It's adorable how he is the "shepherd" of the little cory sheep. He watched over them and protects them and stuff! He still isn't showing much color, basically white with some black. Any suggestions, is it just age??)

EDIT: I think I am just going to get maybe 2 or 3 more platy girls. They have about the same bioload as a group of hatchets, right? After some more research, they seem like my best option. I really don't feel like I have room for a school, and there isn't much else available in my area that is compatible.

I really love my platys, and they have great coloration. I am lucky to have a wide variety of colors readily available! I could easily have 6 platys that all look very different. I am not worried about the fry either, as A) my other fish love eating babies, and B) My male could care less about mating... living with all males his life he doesn't really know what to do with the girls I have in my tank

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What color is your substrate? If it's light, it may be washing the ram's color out. Fish will often lighten or darken depending on substrate color.

OP
rae64

rae64

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ooh, my substrate is white sand... I guess that is the issues then?

Do they sell dark PFS?

I might just buy a bag of Tahitian Moon Sand, and just make a thin top layer. I like the idea of dark substrate, it will really bring out my cory cats (they are white )

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would think that the substrate color is the issue then. When the fish was here, it was the most colorful one in the tank, not white at all. The tank I keep them in is barebottom, but the outside bottom of the tank is spray painted black.

OP
rae64

rae64

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ok, that makes perfect sense! I think I will look for some black sand while I am out today!

EDIT: Went to the LFS today! I ended up with some ghost shrimp (I asked and paid for 10, but got closer to 20 ) and 2 female platys. They are beautiful, and I am pretty sure from the same stock ad the first 2 girls I got a few weeks ago. They have been doing fantastic, so I feel confident the new girls will do well too. They have really mellowed out my big red male... he used to be quite the grump, but he has diverted his attention to his ladies. He plays nice, which is good

I looked for the black sand at the LFS... there was none. Just gravel. I think I am going to have to order offline.

I also tried to buy a light bulb... the light it put out was PURPLE?! I am keeping my 1-year-old bulb until I can get a better one. Any suggestions? The purple one was Penn-Plax Aquari-lux. The one I have now that I like (but it's dying...) is Marineland Natural Daylight.

New Threads