29 Gallon Stocking

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Courtney Moreau, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Courtney Moreau

Courtney MoreauValued MemberMember

So I currently have a 10 gallon with 3 platys in it. I'm saving up money to hopefully get a 29 gallon tank. I want to do some planning now to help me get excited!

I think I will keep both tanks but want to put other fish in the 10 gallon that are more fun to look at being it's in the living room. Maybe danios or tetras? And what can I put in a 29 gallon with platys? I would love an slgea eater in both but can not have shrimp or snails. They are illegal in maine. Any suggestions or ideas are great!

So how would you stock a 10 gallon and 29 gallon tank?

2. shutterbug13

shutterbug13Well Known MemberMember

Many tetras and danios are too big and active for a ten gallon but you can look on this list for the ones that do work: Stocking List for 10 Gallons. Ten to twelve of one of the schooling species on the list would work well.
    Something like this would work for your twenty-nine gallon:
    3x platys
    8x harlequin rasboras
    8x neon tetras
    8x bronze corys
    You can switch out any of the schooling species for whatever you want as long as they are temperature compatible with the platys, just make sure there are only two middle/top-dwelling schools and one bottom dwelling.

3. Keith P Mccoy

Keith P MccoyNew MemberMember

I am starting a 29 gallon tank as well. I would like to have mostly guppies and a few critterrs at the bottom, but my wife wasn't too happy about me getting a new tank so I told her she could pick what we stock it with.. I just finished setting it up today and will be starting the biological cycle tomorrow so I have plenty of time to daydream and follow this thread.

4. adh/smile

adh/smileWell Known MemberMember

I have a 29 gallon tank and I love it! Here is my stocking, it is not fully stocked yet but this is my finished plan:
    4 honey gouamis (other gouramis would work well too, I just chose honeys because they are most peaceful.)
    8 false-juli corydoras
    2 kuhli loaches (last remaining loaches from a previous fully stocked school of 5)
    5 neon tetras (did have 10, but they are old and have been slowly diminishing)
    5 otto cats
    Perhaps 4 or 5 guppies, not sure about them yet because they produce so much waste. I have to see how the water quality goes with the other fish before adding guppies.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice