29 gallon stocking

1. S

Smithyyy5218 Valued Member Member

I have a list in mind and was wanting some second opinions on it from the stocking experts.
    1- fire mouth or krib
    2-gourami(either pearl or honey probably)
    2-bn pleco
    1- school of 8-10

2. aliray

aliray Fishlore VIP Member

Given the size of the size of the tank I would probably do the honey gourami instead of the pearls, A school of 10 peaceful schooling fish would be nice. BN plecos are my favorite fish. I have never kept a krib or firemouth before. You could always do one pearl instead of the honeys but a 29 isn't big enough for a pair. Something to think about though as far as the BN plecos go. You can do I male as two will fight, you can do 2 females, or you can do one male and one female and will end up with tons of baby plecos. I have 2 females in my 30 gal and one male in my 20 gal... Alison:;hi1

3. OP
    OP
    S

Alright so I'll do honeys instead of pearls. Other than that does the stocking sound fine?

4. aliray

aliray Fishlore VIP Member

It does to me TexasDomer is good at stocking .hopefully she will come with some suggestion as well. Alison:;hi1

5. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Agreed, honeys instead of pearls and only one BN pleco. I wouldn't do a firemouth in this size tank, but a krib would work.

What schooling species did you want?

6. OP
    OP
    S

So why only one BN pleco? Not sure on what schooling fish I want. Me and my mom will go look sometime and decide what we like.
    Any other kind of cichlid that would work in this tank?

7. TexasDomer

Only one BN pleco because they have heavy bioloads and only the 2 female combo will work for this size tank.

Make sure you pick a schooling species that can handle the warmer water needed by the kribs.

8. OP
    OP
    S

Okay well that makes sense. And I'll make sure to make sure they're all temp compatible.
    Anyone have any other cichlid suggestions for this tank?

9. TexasDomer

What about rams or keyholes?

10. OP
    OP
    S

I do like both of those. If I could find any keyholes that would be great. I really like Bolivian rams. Are they hardy at all? And would I be able to do 2 with this stock list?

11. TexasDomer

Bolivian rams are hardy, and I think 2 (M/F) would be fine!

12. OP
    OP
    S

Alright sweet! Do they usually tell you if they're a m/f at the pet store or how do you know?

13. TexasDomer

No, you have to sex them yourself. A lot of times the rams sold at the store are juvies and can't easily be sexed. If you want a pair, get a few juvies and rehome all but the pair when they pair up.

14. OP
    OP
    S

So what if I just get two? What happens if I don't get a pair? Are they gonna fight a lot?

15. TexasDomer

With two it's a gamble if they're a M/F and if they'll pair, that's why I suggested getting a group of juvies. Just putting two fish together won't make them pair.

16. OP
    OP
    S

Yeah but is a 29 enough room for two of them to live happily together? Or should I not even try?

17. TexasDomer

I think a 29 gal is fine for a pair, especially since you'll only have one other fish on the bottom with them, the BN pleco. Make sure there are caves for both!

18. OP
    OP
    S

Alright thanks for all the help! I'll make sure there are plenty of hiding places