29 gallon stocking

1. FreshFishes

FreshFishes Valued Member Member

Hello! I've mostly figured out a 29 gallon tank that I am going to set up soon, in a week or so. I am doing a fish less cycle, and am using a Marineland Penguin biowheel 350 filter on it. (A bit powerful, but I've got a large bio load). The tank will be medium-heavily planted. So, my nearly complete stocking plan is:
    1 bristlenose plecostomus
    6 platties
    5-6 otocincluses
    Water parameters are:
    78 degrees fahrenheit
    8 dh water hardness
    pH 7.2-7.4
    could I possibly add some sort of small "centerpiece" fish to this set up? I was thinking about a gourami, but I don't want to be overstocked and I don't want any fish to not be able to thrive in its home.
    -Potato

2. W

Wildside Valued Member Member

Hi!

You could try gouramis although depending on the species they can get rather large. Alternatively you could try some dwarf cichlids like cockatoos, they're not huge but are very colourful. You can use aqadvisor for your stocking, it's not 100% reliable but it does give you a rough idea about whether or not your setup will be okay.

3. FallenOwl

FallenOwl Well Known Member Member

4. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

What about a dwarf gourami, 3 (1m2f) honey gouramis or a thick lipped gourami?

5. JeffK

JeffK Well Known Member Member

With a BN Pleco, don't forget to include some driftwood in your tank as they need it to aid their digestion. Also, what about a couple swordtails as a centerpiece?

6. S

Secret Oasis Valued Member Member

is it a gravel or sand subtrate?

if you like the pleco look, the oto size and have a sandy substrate you can try Pitbull Plecos.

If you stay with oto's or the bristlenose i agree with fallenowl i would pick one or the other to free up bioload.
    im quite interested to what you settle with i also have a 29g im pondering with

7. OP
    OP
    FreshFishes

After lots of research, I've decided that my stocking plan will be:
    1x bristlenose pleco
    5x platy
    1x male honey gourami
    8x sterbai corydoras
    The substrate will be black diamond blasting sand, and I'll use root tabs for plants. There will be multiple pieces of driftwood in the tank.
    Is this an acceptable stock? I will be doing weekly water changes of at least 25%.

8. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

I think you could even up your honey gouramis to 3 (1m2f). They're really small and peaceful.

% of water changes would depend on what your nitrates get up to each week before a scheduled water change. I would aim to keep them below 20ppm.

9. OP
    OP
    FreshFishes

Thanks! I will do three honey gouramis along with the rest of my stocking plan and see how it goes!

10. S

Secret Oasis Valued Member Member

Good luck! I hope you dont have to much trouble finding females for your honey gourmai most places only stock the males

11. JeffK

JeffK Well Known Member Member

I agree with adding a couple more honey gouramis, just to balance out the number of fish you have that inhabit the bottom levels vs the upper regions of your tank. Even if you end up with all male honey gouramis you should be ok as they're quite peaceful.

12. OP
    OP
    FreshFishes

Quick question, I was researching sterbai cories, will black diamond blasting sand fine grain (30-60) damage their barbels?
    -Potato

13. thefuzzyaussie

thefuzzyaussie Valued Member Member

Should be no problems :) i jave bdbs on all my tanks except one and they have no issues :)