29 Gallon Stocking

1. THUNDER FISHERMAN Initiate Member

Hello everyone! I'm thinking about purchasing a 29 gallon aquarium. I'm familiar with performing a fishless cycle. I was just wondering if 1 BN pleco, 2 GBRs, and a small school of tetras or rasboras would be too much for a 29 gallon to handle? If this is not too much, which tetras, rasboras, or other small schooling fish would work in this situation? This tank would have a sand substrate and low-light live plants.
    Thanks in advance!

2. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to the forum and glad you joined us. Sounds like a great plan and you've already included my favorite fish, the BN pleco.:;hug2With the rams you want warm water fish. Harlequin rasboras, cherry barbs, glowlight tetras, lambchop rasboras, cardinal tetras, are all good peaceful schooling fish. You could do two schools 6 to 8 of two of them your rams and you could do a trio or pair of honey gourami for the top. Alison:;hi2

3. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to fishlore!

I think that's a great stock for a 29 gallon and you'd still have some room if you wanted to put something that stays at the top (honey, dwarf, thicklip gourami come to mind). The only thing I would worry about is german rams like temps of around 80 degrees and that is right at the limit for a BN pleco. I've known people that have kept them in such temps successfully but I'm not 100% sure that they are temp compatible. planetcatfish has the max temp at 79 which is cutting it close

For schooling fish that are warm water compatible, I'd go with something like rummynose tetra, diamond, lemon, or black phantom tetras. Cherry barbs are also nice or you can do something like harlequin rasboras.

I'd say after that you still have room for something along the bottom like sterbai or aeneus cory cats. Or kuhli loaches

Edit: Ninja'd by aliray

4. THUNDER FISHERMAN Initiate Member

Thanks for the replies! Are there any other small plecos that can tolerate warmer temperatures?

5. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

6. THUNDER FISHERMAN Initiate Member

Ok! I think I'll go with the clown pleco! Is there any other pair of cichlids that would work with this setup (instead of the GBRs)? Possibly cockatoo cichlids? Im just looking for any interesting suggestions, if not I think I'll stick with the GBRs. Thanks for all your help!
    :;scuba

7. Charles556 Member Member

I haven't kept apistogrammas before, but from what I've read, A. cacatuoides prefers cooler temperatures while A. agassizii prefers warmer temps at around 73-81 F. Someone can disagree if he/she wants to.

Personally, I'd stick with the GBRs, but that's my own bias speaking. :)

8. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

If you went with apisto's then you could probably go back to the BN Pleco (less shy than the clown) as most apisto's can do cooler water than the GBR's. Borelli (my personal favorite) is probably the one that like's the coolest I think as they like to stay around 75 or 76 which is good for a BN pleco. I believe cacatuoides (at least according to seriously fish) can do warm water as well.

9. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I'd do an Apisto - there are so many colorful species.