29 Gallon Stocking

1. Mwh7 Member Member

I currently have a 29 gallon with 3 ghost shrimp, and a dwarf gourami. My dwarf gourami is more aggressive than what I would perceive as normal. I want to add 6-9 tiger barb. I have heard that the tiger barbs will not bother other fish if they are in a big enough group, plus the fact that my gourami is fairly more aggressive than normal. I have not kept tiger barbs before, so I figured I would seek advice before adding them into the tank.

2. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

I wouldn't chance it for the reason that tiger barbs are noted fin nippers and the gourami is a fairly languid swimmer with those nice long feelers. I would not keep him with nippy fish. Alison:;hi1

3. Mwh7 Member Member

I know they're fin nippers, but you don't think there's any chance they'll mind their own business?

4. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Dwarf Gouramis are semi-aggressive. Tiger barbs why??! Just curious.

5. Mwh7 Member Member

I know they're semi-aggressive. I just have never seen a dwarf gourami that shows as much aggression as mine does. Tiger Barbs because I think they're very interesting to watch, and I enjoy their striped pattern. I would keep clown loaches also because of the same striped coloration, but I obviously do not have the tank for that :)

6. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Tiger barbs need to be in a group of at least 15 for their to be little aggression. I would maybe add gold barbs. They are beautiful! I have 16 just in case you are wondering! Add 10 and you will see them swimming like crazy:)

7. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

Why not rehome the dwarf gourami and get a large school of tiger barbs if that is what you prefer? They are beautiful fish. Alison:;hi2

8. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Yea I like that idea! I second that.

9. JeffK Well Known Member Member

I like that idea too. Tiger barbs look so cool in a big school, but I'd never trust them in anything but a species only talk.

10. cborden Member Member

I think you will be fine with 6 tiger barbs. My 6 tiger barbs only chase each other. They never mess with any of the the other tankmates. Just my two cents.

11. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

you need more than 6.

12. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

I wouldn't be comfortable adding only 6 in a 29 gallon. It's a risk that you'll have to watch closely because even if your gourami is aggressive, that doesn't mean the tiger barbs will leave him alone.

As another option, you could try black ruby barbs. They look very similar to tiger barbs and aren't AS nippy.