29 gallon stocking

1. dgmirage Member Member

Hi all,
    I've been looking into different types of fish to stock my tank. It seems through going to various LFS, that cichlids tend to have the most "personality." I could be completely wrong, but perhaps its their aggressiveness and activity. Could I fit cichlids in a 29g? Perhaps African cichlids? I know they prefer much larger tanks and I don't want to do any harm to them. Would 4 fit comfortably?

Any other good fish species with a 'personalities'? I know this is a weird question.

Thanks!

2. bellachan Well Known Member Member

African cichlids do well in larger groups. There are smaller species but I am not sure about stocking them in a 29gal, I only have mostly mbuna in my 75gal tank. What about other types of cichlids? There's many to choose from! One example is angelfish. You could have a pair :)

3. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

I think gourami have great personalities. Mine always greets me at the top of the tank.

You may also be interested in a german blue ram!

4. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

Rams are good too :)

5. dgmirage Member Member

I hear rams are very hard to keep? is that true? gbr's are so beautiful!

6. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

I'm not experienced with them, but I believe they just require enough space and stable water parameters, like any other fish.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

7. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

They can be tricky. They need an established tank. I rescued some Rams and it, unfortunately, proved that theory right. They died but, they had been bullied in the LFS and had pretty nasty fin damage.

Is your tank set up yet? You could always add a school of large tetras (if you have room, I would think you'll be fine for at least a school of six but, stocking is not my forte.) and add the rams in a few months?x