29 Gallon Stocking With German Blue Rams?

1. FishMich

FishMich Valued Member Member

Hi There!

Just trying to plan ahead for our new to us 29 gallon tank. This is the stocking I was thinking of going with, let me know your thoughts?

1 pair of German Blue Rams
    12 x Cardinal Tetras
    6 x Corydoras Sterbai

Is there enough room for everyone? I’m planning on using pool filter sand and live plants. I’m hoping everyone will be happy with 27 degrees celsius, I know the GBRs like their water warm. Will do a fishless cycle and add the GBRs last.

2. Five 97

Five 97 Well Known Member Member

You could do more cardinals or add another middwelling school, along with some honeys or a single dwarf gourami, IMO.

Something like this?

15x Cardinal tetras
    8-10x Sterbai corys
    2x Honey gouramis
    2x German blue rams

OR

8x Cardinal tetras
    8x Rummynose tetras
    8-10x Sterbai corys
    1x DG
    2x GBRs

3. OP
    OP
    FishMich

Thank you! Is there another species of middwellers that would be compatible? I’m not a huge fan of the look of Rummynoses. Sounds silly, but the red faces seem to remind me of blood. I’m a bit squeamish when it comes to that.

Thinking of avoiding DGs, as I’ve read they’re susceptible to a virus that is incurable? I did see an Opaline Gourami at a shop the other day, liked the look of it, but just did a quick search and it seems they can get aggressive? So not a good fit?

4. benno99999

benno99999 New Member Member

DG's can be aggressive to other smaller fish. I kept one with some guppies in a 15 gallon and it cleared the guppies out! For middwellers, I would recommend cherry barbs or platies.

5. OP
    OP
    FishMich

Thank you, just took a look and I like the cherry barbs! We have a platy and a couple guppies. I think I’d like to stay away from livebearers. The ones we have are super pigs. They outcompete everyone for food and just stuff themselves silly. I find it hard to feed our cories because they actually go to the bottom after eating their floating food and eat up the cories’ food!

How does this sound?

10 x Cardinal Tetras
    10 x Cherry Barbs
    8 x Corydoras Sterbai
    2 x GBRs