29 Gallon Stocking Suggestions

Kobiashi3

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So I have a 29 gallon freshwater tank that has been set up for almost a month now. Currently I have 6 zebra danios and 1 male bolivian ram. (I had a female ram but she died after only 2 nights in the tank so I'm thinking she was prob sick when I got her from the store with the male)

I am looking for suggestions on some active, colorful community tank mates to join them. I also want to add a bottom feeder to the mix to help with cleaning up algae and uneaten food. I am not going to get them all at once of course but I would like to add a few more with a bottom feeder ASAP and let them get adjusted for a while before I add more. Everyone currently living in the tank look healthy and have lots of energy. (Well the Danios at least...the Ram is pretty chill and keeps to himself)

I really like Mollies, the colorful guppies look cool, maybe another Ram/peaceful cichlid, tetras, barbs, and gouramis to name a few.

My water temp stays between 77-80 degrees and I have plenty of places for fish to hide, play and lots of swim room at the moment since the danios are small and fast.

Thoughts?

Attachments

Treestone

Reaction score
Mollies are probably not a good idea for that setup as they can get quite boisterous. A school of pearl danios would look cool with the zebras and might school together. Since you already have a ram it would be risky to add another species of cichlid or gouramI although you could get a few more Bolivian rams and possibly get a pair.

OP
K

Kobiashi3

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
FuryX said:
Is that some driftwood in the tank? I have a 29 and mine looks so blah.
Yeah. I got it from my local PetSmart. A already had the crock skull and one of the logs in a betta aquarium so I just cleaned them and added them to this setup. Everything else came from local pet and fish stores.

Treestone said:
Mollies are probably not a good idea for that setup as they can get quite boisterous. A school of pearl danios would look cool with the zebras and might school together. Since you already have a ram it would be risky to add another species of cichlid or gouramI although you could get a few more Bolivian rams and possibly get a pair.
Thanks! What do you suggest for a bottom feeder/dweller? Pleco, snails?

idk

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
A group of corydoras would be cool bottom feeder, although I probably wouldn't recommend it of you want a pair of rams. They won't enjoy the cories invading their space when they're spawning. There are a few different species so there is still choices of the particular type you wanted if going down that road.
you could add more Danios for a larger school or even look into a different type.
you could do Rummynose or cardinals for a bit of colour variation but you might want to keep in mind the different levels of the tank so they aren't too crowded.
guppies might work too but would skip out on mollies

Treestone

Reaction score
If your looking for a pleco it would be for sure a bristlenose. In my experience, they don't eat that much algae and eat lots of cucumber and algae wafers bumping up the bioload of the tank quite a bit when they are fully grown. Really easy, fun breeding project if u can find some older individual. If you're wanting a bottom feeder just so it can clean the tank you might as well not go there. Peppered Corydoras or albino (same species) would be my recommendation, although they can be expensive make sure you get at least six so that u see them a lot more and u can get some really cool schooling behaviour out of them.

OP
K

Kobiashi3

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So I picked up another Bolivian Ram, a nerite snail and a sucking loach today. I’m not sure if the Ram is male or female. I already had a male in the tank so if anyone can help sexting these two that would be dope! Also should I worry if they are both males?
AA731202-FB35-4E4A-91D6-8DBBC928EC2C.jpeg

Myyyman

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Males may fight at mating season, it depends on their temperament and if you’ve got enough females to go round.

New Threads