29-gallon stocking suggestions requested

Swayde

Reaction score
I currently have 6 Danios and I don't intend to add any more fish for awhile, but I would like to get some suggestions so I can start looking to see what is available locally (I cannot afford to pay huge amount for shipping for fish.)

My tank is still cycling, but the temp stays consistantly at 78-80F...I would not be surprised if it raises a little bit higher during the summertime as I am in Florida and in a mobile home and it does tend to get pretty warm in the afternoons inside.

The PH from the tap is 8.0 and in my tank it is either 7.8-8.0...I can't tell the colors apart very well, but I do intend to take a sample to my LFS before I buy any more fish just to double check my readings.

I believe the actual dimensions of the tank are 30"x12"x18". There are some new plants in it that seem to be growing, but are still fairly small.

My husband has suggested platies, red tailed shark, swordtails, glass catfish and plecos because that's what he apparently had and liked when his mom had an aquarium.

I never had fish before and my preference is for coloful, peaceful fish. I am a sucker for Bettas and Guppies cause I think they are lovely, and yes I know they don't mix well =/ I also like several of the gouramis, the rainbow fish, the glofish and the endler's and I love angel fish.

So anyhow, any suggestions would be welcome so I can start checking things out and start keeping an eye out for what I want in stores whenever my tank is ready for more fishies.

Thanks!

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I believe you tank is a 29 gallon. If you are going to get a pleco for that tank, stick with one that doesn't get huge. The bristlenose species would be a good choice for your tank. I would also look at getting at least cory cats to help keep the bottom of your tank clean by eating the food that makes it to the bottom. Where in Florida are you located? www.aquabid.com has a seller from south Florida, that offers quite a lot of different species of cory cats. They might be close enough for you to go pick them up, or shipping might be less because you are close. www.planetcatfish.com is a good place to learn about different plecos and cory cats.

Swayde

Reaction score
Gunnie said:
I believe you tank is a 29 gallon.  If you are going to get a pleco for that tank, stick with one that doesn't get huge.  The bristlenose species would be a good choice for your tank.  I would also look at getting at least cory cats to help keep the bottom of your tank clean by eating the food that makes it to the bottom.  Where in Florida are you located?  www.aquabid.com has a seller from south Florida, that offers quite a lot of different species of cory cats.  They might be close enough for you to go pick them up, or shipping might be less because you are close.  www.planetcatfish.com is a good place to learn about different plecos and cory cats.   
Riverview, Florida....there are a TON of fish farms around here but they won't sell to individuals unless you order online and pay like $40 for shipping and I just can't afford that. There are 4-5 LFS though within 15 minutes of me and they seem to have decent selections.

For the bottom feeders I was actually contemplating Otos or Cory's. I don't care much for the looks of the plecos. My hubby just likes things very constant and familiar which is why he suggested a pleco.

starshine

Reaction score
Otos are awesome! Mine do a better job at keeping my tank and plants clean than my plecos in the past ever did. They're tiny, though, so be careful not to mix them in with fish that might be big enough to eat them!

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
You are sooooooooo lucky to live where you do! It looks like you have a great aquarium club there in tampa, and I know at least one of the members who has some great fish! Here's the link to the club, and I seriously recommend you check them out and join!

http://www.tbas1.com/

Here's the website of the member. I think he's one of the board members of the club, and he lives in St. Pete. If you want any of his fish, you could ask him to bring them to a club meeting. I'm jealous!

http://www.southernapistos.com/

Swayde

Reaction score
Gunnie said:
You are sooooooooo lucky to live where you do!  It looks like you have a great aquarium club there in tampa, and I know at least one of the members who has some great fish!  Here's the link to the club, and I seriously recommend you check them out and join!

http://www.tbas1.com/

Here's the website of the member.  I think he's one of the board members of the club, and he lives in St. Pete.  If you want any of his fish, you could ask him to bring them to a club meeting.  I'm jealous!   

http://www.southernapistos.com/
Thank you for this helpful information! =) It never occured to me to look up fishy clubs.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom