29 gallon stocking question

EmuhLeigh

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi! Currently in my 29 gallon planted aquarium I have: 6 zebra danios and 5 cherry barbs..

I want to add:
2 juvenile angelfish and 6 Harlequin Rasboras

Can I do this without being overstocked? I know angelfish get big, but I am planning on upgrading when they get bigger.
Thank you!

ClearEyes

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'd throw in another cherry barb to complete the school. Not sure about the angels, though. I'll let someone else chime in.

KarenLM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I would add the rasboras now and see how that goes. Also, make sure you have lots of filtration.

It's always risky to buy fish knowing you have to upgrade your tank size. IMO wait for the larger tank and then get your angels. You don't want to end up doing bi-weekly WC of 50% just to keep nitrates safe.

Edit: I agree, 1 more cherry barb.

EmuhLeigh

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
KarenLM said:
I would add the rasboras now and see how that goes. Also, make sure you have lots of filtration.

It's always risky to buy fish knowing you have to upgrade your tank size. IMO wait for the larger tank and then get your angels. You don't want to end up doing bi-weekly WC of 50% just to keep nitrates safe.

Edit: I agree, 1 more cherry barb.
You do have a good point. IF I do get the angels I will be throwing in this filter: along with my Tetra Whisper 30 that I have.

I have been waiting at least a week before introducing new fish, just to make sure all of my water chemistry holds up well.

Also, I will go back to the fish store this week and add another cherry barb! Thanks.

FishInferno

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Angels are not too big for a 29 IMO, it provides enough swimming room when you consider that angels are rather sedate swimmers compared to barbs and tetras

KarenLM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
IMO adding the rasboras AND angels will overstock the tank.

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would not get another school of middle fish, rather, how about cories? FishInferno, If there must be angels in a 29 then just one, not a pair long term.

KarenLM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have gold barbs not cherry and they tend to school near the bottom. Danios tend to stay near the top. Just my thoughts.

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Zebra danios do need a cooler temp than angels.....

EmuhLeigh

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My heater is set to 77. I thought that fell between both of their temperature range? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Angels prefer a higher temp, and danios need a lower temp. Permanently at that temp they'll have a shorter lifespan.

EmuhLeigh

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Anders247 said:
Angels prefer a higher temp, and danios need a lower temp. Permanently at that temp they'll have a shorter lifespan.
Okay, thank you!

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
No problem!

wiedow

Valued Member
Reaction score
Upgrade Sunday. Petco has dollar per gallon sale starting Sunday. And there is 20% off in store which expires sat so get your extra substrate and what not Saturday and the tank Sunday.

Joshua Drake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I recently had a school of 6 zebra danio swarm 2 of my angels and stress them to death. It was a pretty unnerving sight. Granted there was additional stress by a recent ich outbreak that I was treating, but you kind of have to assume that anything can happen in this hobby. After the angels in my tank were dead, they started to target my last dwarf gourami, and then I added 8 more danio and they were a little more tolerable, although I think the damage had already been done as my gourami only comes out of hiding to eat anymore. Just some food for thought on suggested danio school size.

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Those danios are really hyper and they swim nonstop. I never see them rest.

KarenLM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
IMO the danios keep the tank water circulating almost as much as filters and bubblers! They seem to be everywhere all at once!

FishInferno

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Anders247 said:
If there must be angels in a 29 then just one, not a pair long term.
Is this due to the bio load or swimming space? Bio load I can understand, but worn another angelfish they should both still have the same swimming space right?

Sorry if I'm being pesky about the Angels I just want to know why everyone says they can't be in a 29

Joshua Drake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Because a 29 gallon is basically the same footprint as a 20L. I wouldn't personally even want 1 in there full term as it just isn't enough room for them to have a happy healthy life. They are fairly slow swimmers, but they still like to be able to move. The smallest size I would put a pair of angels in long term would be a 55 gallon.

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Exactly, I just would not be doing a 6 inch fish that is fairly active in a 29.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom