29 Gallon Stocking Quesitons

nate12

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
While I wait for my tank to cycle I had a question about stocking. I will have a 29 gallon partially planted tank with sand substrate. I was intending on getting a school of 6-8 tetras (black neon or maybe cardinal), 6 corys and either a blue or bolivian ram depending on availability. To me this seems like the middle and bottom layers are covered but maybe there is a little more space for something that prefers hanging out up top. From what I gather angel fish get a little big for this so does anyone have any suggestions? Maybe a gouramI of some kind or something else? Thanks for your help.

tyguy7760

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Gourami's would be good. My suggestions would be dwarf/honey/thick-lipped/banded for your size tank

You could also do something like platys or guppies as they stay close to the top as well.

JeffK

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hatchetfish could be another possibility - they'll stay at the top of the water column. Just be sure to keep the tank covered as these fish are known to jump!

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
JeffK said:
Hatchetfish could be another possibility - they'll stay at the top of the water column. Just be sure to keep the tank covered as these fish are known to jump!
With the school of tetras and the school of cories, if the OP were to add another school of hatchets, this may be pushing the bioload. I would go for a non-schooling fish such as a gouramI or dwarf cichlid.

tyguy7760

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
I think a single (or maybe a pair if you went with honey's) gouramI or 2 or 3 male guppies would be best if you are tooking for fish to stay at the top. I find the three male guppy's (1 tux, 1 fancy, and 1 blue cobra) I have very entertaining. They are always together racing each other up and down the tank.

The 2 thicklipped gouramis I have are probably my favorite fish in the tank. Very pretty and very social. Those 2 and the BR always seek me out and the gouramis are always nipping and exploring my hand/arm when it's in the tank.

JeffK

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Dom90 said:
With the school of tetras and the school of cories, if the OP were to add another school of hatchets, this may be pushing the bioload. I would go for a non-schooling fish such as a gouramI or dwarf cichlid.
Thank you Dom90 as I did not read correctly. My suggestion was for THE upper level school, not an additional one (my fault!)

nate12

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thank you for the suggestions. I will take a look when I go get some supplies this weekend.

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yeah, I'd go with one of the gouramis mentioned by tyguy.

nate12

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Are there any algae eaters that do well in a higher temperature set up?

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Nerite snails are the best algae eater, imo. Should be fine in higher temps.

tyguy7760

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Nerites are great at cleaning algae. It's just getting them to find the algae. Oto's are also great but are pretty sensative (however, mind survived my nitrite spike/minI cycle I had a few weeks ago) and they don't eat all the algae a nerite does.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads