29 Gallon Stocking Quesitons

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by nate12, Jul 14, 2015.

1. nate12New MemberMember

While I wait for my tank to cycle I had a question about stocking. I will have a 29 gallon partially planted tank with sand substrate. I was intending on getting a school of 6-8 tetras (black neon or maybe cardinal), 6 corys and either a blue or bolivian ram depending on availability. To me this seems like the middle and bottom layers are covered but maybe there is a little more space for something that prefers hanging out up top. From what I gather angel fish get a little big for this so does anyone have any suggestions? Maybe a gourami of some kind or something else? Thanks for your help.

2. tyguy7760

tyguy7760Fishlore VIPMember

Gourami's would be good. My suggestions would be dwarf/honey/thick-lipped/banded for your size tank

You could also do something like platys or guppies as they stay close to the top as well.

3. JeffK

JeffKWell Known MemberMember

Hatchetfish could be another possibility - they'll stay at the top of the water column. Just be sure to keep the tank covered as these fish are known to jump!

4. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

With the school of tetras and the school of cories, if the OP were to add another school of hatchets, this may be pushing the bioload. I would go for a non-schooling fish such as a gourami or dwarf cichlid.

5. tyguy7760

I think a single (or maybe a pair if you went with honey's) gourami or 2 or 3 male guppies would be best if you are tooking for fish to stay at the top. I find the three male guppy's (1 tux, 1 fancy, and 1 blue cobra) I have very entertaining. They are always together racing each other up and down the tank.

The 2 thicklipped gouramis I have are probably my favorite fish in the tank. Very pretty and very social. Those 2 and the BR always seek me out and the gouramis are always nipping and exploring my hand/arm when it's in the tank.

6. JeffK

JeffKWell Known MemberMember

Thank you Dom90 as i did not read correctly. My suggestion was for THE upper level school, not an additional one (my fault!)

7. OP
    OP
    n

nate12New MemberMember

Thank you for the suggestions. I will take a look when I go get some supplies this weekend.

8. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Yeah, I'd go with one of the gouramis mentioned by tyguy.

9. OP
    OP
    n

nate12New MemberMember

Are there any algae eaters that do well in a higher temperature set up?

10. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Nerite snails are the best algae eater, imo. Should be fine in higher temps.

11. tyguy7760

Nerites are great at cleaning algae. It's just getting them to find the algae. Oto's are also great but are pretty sensative (however, mind survived my nitrite spike/mini cycle i had a few weeks ago) and they don't eat all the algae a nerite does.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice