29 Gallon Stocking Options

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Hyperion007, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Hyperion007

Hyperion007New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everyone,

My 29 gallon tank 30.25" x 12.5" x 18.75" has been cycled and I'm looking for stocking options. Water ph is 7.6 and temperature at 76 degrees.

Current stock: 2 blue wag platies and 6 harlequin rasboras.

I'm thinking about adding a pair of Bolivian rams, 6 rummynose tetras and 2 otos or 1 BN pleco. Any other recommendations?

[​IMG]

2. Giul

GiulWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +563
    Experience:
    1 year
    To me, the black sand screams cories. A light Cory on dark sand would look great! However to do this I would pass on the rummy noses and get a couple more harlequin rasboras instead

3. OP
    OP
    Hyperion007

Hyperion007New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the recommendation. I’ll look into light colored cory.

4. Lynn78too

Lynn78tooWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +811
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I love how harlequins school and am all about a big school. I agree on passing on the rummy noses. I'm not a fan of plecos but again, cories swimming together is cute. There are a bunch of cute options out there. My false julii swim together nicely.

5. e_watson09

e_watson09Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +331
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I'd do panda cory cats! They're my favorite! Get a school of 6-8 and they're loads of fun to watch!

If you do otos make sure you get a bigger school of them, they need a pretty established tank so I'd add them last if you do.

6. notBrandon

notBrandonValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +6
    To give more evidence as to why passing the RNT is a good idea is temperature- with a few select fish that fits in a 29 gallon, most fish prefer cooler waters, such as cories and harlequins (although some cories can tolerate warmer waters). Bolivian Rams are highly recommended, since they will contrast the dark sand. However, if you want a pair for the purpose of breeding them, you should know they will be aggressive during spawning to curious and oblivious fish such as plecos.

To tack on to the breeding thing, if you want them to breed, you should add a cave with a flat/ smooth surface on the bottom. It would help the Bolivians feel more safe.

Become a Fishlore Member